Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tent Poles
5 February 2014, 23:06,
Tent Poles
Okay, as any of you know, my lovely tent bust up and screwed part of my night, while on Dartmoor last weekend.

I'm going to replace the poles and provide a decent review of the tent, and the poles.

This is my question. Have you tried changing poles, if so, what poles do you recommend, and why?

I'm looking at Easton Aluminium poles. 7075 alloy, so very high standard. Which should be capable of dealing with the best of weathers (it's what's used in MANY Everest expedition tents). So they are going to be good.

What's your view and your experiences?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 February 2014, 10:02,
RE: Tent Poles
Have you got a link S13?
6 February 2014, 10:42,
use a tarp...
6 February 2014, 10:57,
poles for my tent busted fairly soon after I bought it (back in 1979) in a huge Welsh gale just off the north coast, went into the nearest camping shop and bought a set of spare poles from another Ridge tent AND A HACKSAW and cut the new poles to fit my tent, these are still with me 25 years later-as is the tent!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 February 2014, 17:46,
http://www.eastonpoles.com

There you go MCavity. Got a supplier in the UK too.
7 February 2014, 02:03,
The sturdiest tent I've ever owned was a vango force ten....very old tech and not the most spacious or user friendly but built like a brick outhouse......if wind is a major problem then low profile multi pole geodesic is the way to go .... wish I still had that vango! no flexi poles just good sturdy aluminium tubes...after 20 years service some dick built a fire to close and the wind came around ,,,you can guess the outcome!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 February 2014, 18:39,
I always liked the Force 10 range, especially the 2-man, lower-profile ones that came with a nylon fly to reduce weight. Trouble with them was, I never yet saw one withstand a force 10 wind.

My all-time favourite was a Peapod from Mountain Equipment. That had two hoops, a smaller one at the back and the two poles were carbon fibre, connected by shockcord. That, I remember, flattened in a gale so it pressed down on you but then popped back up. On the same occasion, four Force 10's shredded and disappeared across the Lake District!

8 February 2014, 00:27,
Are you looking to replace fibreglass poles with the alloy? If so, bear in mind that alloy poles won't bend as much as fibreglass, so it might depend on the design of the tent whether you can substitute them.

Some tent designs with alloy poles that require a significant bend, often have the poles pre-formed. My Vaude Taurus is a case in point.

By the way, Easton aluminium is aircraft grade and should be pretty strong.
8 February 2014, 01:27,
Hello Tarrel

This is something I have considered, so have been looking into reforming already (heat gun and a bathroom towel rolled up is a good place to start...apparently...but experimentation will tell).

The 7075 grade is the exact reason why I am looking at the Easton range.

How did you get the bend for your Taurus?
8 February 2014, 19:02,
That must be one he!! of a heat gun and an asbestos bathroom towel!