Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Cacheing Kit.
14 February 2014, 10:31,
Cacheing Kit.
A few comments made in SS's Protection Plan thread http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...7#pid77977

Had me thinking.
For me, a lot of my preps depends on my ability to produce and preserve my own supplies. If there was ever the need for a house to house search for supplies, well not a lot would be found at TOF Towers in the initial sweep. However, as things stand, there would be a mahoosive give away both in the house and shed that it might be worth a closer inspection because of the visible equipment.
My question is, have you made provision to hide your gear, not just weapons, but the important stuff, like preserving kit, gardening tools, fuel, heaters and portable cookers.
If you have, care to share what you've done? I'm going to have to have a big think on this, as my house and garden is simply too small to make a good job of things.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
14 February 2014, 11:02,
RE: Cacheing Kit.
I really don't agree with this pessimism that the military will go door to door in a SHTF event and conviscate our extra tins of corned beef and soup, TPTB are more likely to take over and control the flow of food via the supermarkets, maybe implement some kind of rationing system, they really don't have the manpower to inspect the larders of 63.7 million people!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 February 2014, 11:36,
With all this rain and standing water, does anyone have any buried caches?

If so do you plan on digging them and check on them to see how they may have been affected by the weather. Even just a few drops of water finding its way into a plastic barrel could for example be enough to start corroding your tin cans or gas cylinders etc....

Just a thought and doesn't affect me as I don't have anything buried away, but a lot of people talk about having buried caches so was just wondering??
14 February 2014, 11:46,
Its not pessimism BP, its just scenario testing to try and work out what we might be up against.

Originally our thought process was that the military would have absolutely no interest in us. And as specific people they will not be interested in us at all. But, in the scenario of Government attempting to feed the largest part of the population after a collapse, the military, aided by support volunteers, could very well be sent out to the countryside to find provisions.

That's a threat that I can do little to mitigate, other than to hide our stuff and adopt a look of need and hunger. This is one of the reasons why I am keeping the house slightly run down looking on the outside, PV arrays or other goodies stored well out of sight.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 February 2014, 11:51,
sorry LS, but in an era when "joe public" keeps 3 days worth of" food" at most,( a lot of it "convenience" food) this would prove an unexciting and time consuming exercise with very little to show at the end of it! complete and utter waste of manpower .
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 February 2014, 12:07,
I think I have to agree with BP about there not being enough personnel in the military or police to be able to search every house, but if TPTP declare "hoarding" illegal then you have to worry about neighbours snitching on you if they think you have something they don't and that you're not sharing with them.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
14 February 2014, 12:13,
that's why you have OPSEC, don't show neighbours your stock of food, when you bring stuff into the house make sure its covered, and don't tell anyone what you've got!
14 February 2014, 12:31, (This post was last modified: 14 February 2014, 12:35 by Lightspeed.)
BP, I think your assessment is spot on..... For you. You're in a small town, and as you describe it, one in which most residents are reliant on TPTB already. They have no stores or resources that are likely to attract the attentions of any concerted resource searches.

My evaluation was about my personal location. A small agricultural hamlet where we have lots of cows, sheep, pigs and arable, most notably grain production.

Talking to older locals about past events and they say that for sure TPTB audited the resources and gave target production outputs that had to be met in terms of head of cattle, gallons of milk and tons of grain that had to be yielded. It even went as far as including egg yield. Apparently initial audit of livestock was without warning and somewhat heavy handed ( barns and outbuildings searched)

That was when dig for victory campaigning was in full swing. The agricultural infrastructure had to be kept going to feed the country. Inhabitants were pretty much left alone, other than a few having children billeted on them.

Next time around it may be the same again. But then again in final desperation, it may be that there will be an attempt for all resources to be swept up .

As I said, this is contingency planning, and for us, this articular contingency leaves no option beyond caching supplies in places of greater safety,

Ranger and BP. We're all agreed that OPSEC is critical. No neighbours should be allowed to be aware of our supplies or capabilities.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 February 2014, 12:47, (This post was last modified: 14 February 2014, 12:58 by bigpaul.)
you've changed the scenario LS !!Big Grin sure we have farms around here, mostly animals as this is a stock rearing area not an arable one, now that would make more sense for the powers to be to control rather than the tins people have or don't have in their larders ! but we have this problem with numbers again, 136,000 Police and 82,000 troops wont go far in controlling a population of nearly 64 million, keeping control of the major cities would take much of their time if not all of it, if it kicks off in the cities big time then just how many, if any at all, could be spared to count sheep, cattle and pigs or check grain silo's? having said that I imagine all farms are on line and numbers could be submitted via the internet without anyone setting foot on the farm?

something has just occurred to me, I have been watching repeats of "wartime farm" on freeview, now during WW2 the ministry forced farmers to get rid of most of their animals and to concentrate on growing food crops to feed the nation instead, now maybe this would happen again??
14 February 2014, 13:00,
I don't think they'll be swooping down on the whole country in one go. As in previous times when apropriaton took place, it was carried out in sectors. I believe in a severe enough situation door to door searches will take place.
I well remember one of NR's little stories about the Grasshopper and the Ant. http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...rasshopper

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart