Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caring for elderly relatives in an economic collapse
13 March 2014, 21:59,
RE: Caring for elderly relatives in an economic collapse
Already made the move. My mum moved into a self-contained apartment in our garden last October, and is living there independently. We pop in to each other for a cup of tea most days, and we're standing by to provide an escalating level of care until it gets beyond us. (In which case, hopefully, we'll have someone come in to help). The move was at her request. She gave up her council flat and is now paying us the equivalent rent to pay down the costs of the conversion of an outbuilding to an apartment. She's 85.

I strongly believe that it is our responsibility to look after our old folk. It drives me up the wall when I hear of people complaining that their parents are having to sell their house in order to fund care in a care home. "What about my inheritance?!". Simple choice; take the responsibility and gain the inheritance, or pay to offload the problem to someone else. But you can't have it both ways.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Caring for elderly relatives in an economic collapse - by Tarrel - 13 March 2014, 21:59