Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we can learn from Crimea
31 March 2014, 20:47,
RE: What we can learn from Crimea
(30 March 2014, 11:41)Little Lou Wrote: Thanks, NR and RS - I feel a prat for not realizing before about coffee. Green beans is an inspiration too.
(But I disagree with you on the politics, NR. I can't stand Putin, but the only Nazis here are the ones in the new Ukrainian government that our beloved leaders are supporting!)
RoadWarrior - yes, absolutely. It's the 'community' aspect of it that fascinates me most, and I fear you're right that we've lost it in UK. But you can still find that spirit in the older people, and communities where they're in a majority usually start to soak it up themselves.
In my own village more than half are elderly, and that's made a huge difference. We have street parties (Jubilee and Royal Wedding) and neighbours are always helping each other out. One of mine has cancer, for instance, and we have a rota on the street of people who take turns driving her in for chemo. My half of my road had power cuts in a storm this January, and we had endless knocks on the door from neighbours coming to see if we were all right or needed a hot drink!
I'm also the Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator here, and have a huge database of people willing to be called in in an emergency - eg if there's a missing child. Three times a year I get a band of volunteers to go on a big 'litter pick' to clear the roads, playing field, and recreation ground, and I always get at least 40 people who turn up. There are problem areas, but I think on the whole we'd pull fairly well together if we had to. Though probably not like Crimea!
SS - yes, good question on the gold. I've asked if it's possible to get figures, and will report back.
wow Lou,
living all my life with the russians and the other former soviet republics nationals in my country i can tell it is load of bs!
even nowadays it is enough the smallest hint of a rumor (came fom russia by internet) that for example the buckwheat is becoming deficit to cause the shopping spree and subsequently creating the buckwheat deficit. same thing were with toothpaste and eggs a few years before. it spreads like wildfire.
even though i and many others consider buckwheat as parrot food, now every russian home has a load of it in their cupboards.
how come you never complained earlier? it is only now when russian troops occupied the crimea suddenly "the nazis" started to oppress the crimean population?

and please spare me about the nazi crap. anyone who say anything opposing to the current russian policy is automatically classified as fascist and nazi.

i know how ukranians in my country feel about russians, they know their nations history apart from russian who are constantly brainwashed from the first grade at school.

well it is amazing how far the putins propaganda has reached!

Messages In This Thread
What we can learn from Crimea - by Little Lou - 29 March 2014, 22:54
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by River Song - 30 March 2014, 07:03
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by bigpaul - 30 March 2014, 10:37
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by bigpaul - 30 March 2014, 11:34
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by Little Lou - 30 March 2014, 11:41
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by Nix - 30 March 2014, 11:46
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by bigpaul - 30 March 2014, 11:52
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by Little Lou - 30 March 2014, 12:29
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by bigpaul - 30 March 2014, 12:36
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by Little Lou - 30 March 2014, 13:08
RE: What we can learn from Crimea - by bigpaul - 30 March 2014, 13:49