Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ten out of TEN
3 April 2014, 08:55,
Ten out of TEN
On a scale of air pollution severity in the UK the official scale runs from 0 Clean air to 10 Dangerously polluted. The UK is currently recording pollution levels of 10 and one metrologist on the radio his morning said the scale should be increased to 12 because its that bad in the SE.

Basically thanks to calm stable weather, high pressure, local and European pollution added to a few billion tons of the Sahara desert being blown into northern Europe the gunge the people in the south are breathing IS damaging to health.

Industrial pollution
Sulpher dioxide from power stations
Cancer causing particulates from diesel engines
Allergy causing pollens
Silica sand paticles and sand particles
Pollution from coal fired power stations
Emmissions from cars

Welll just about everything that is bad for the young and old, asthmatics, chronic broncs and just about anyone being outside.

After TSHTF consider the added effects of such weather if it was compounded by acres and acres of cities being torched by rioters and looters.

Consider the likely future effect of adding another 4 million plus people to the UKs population with their cars, buses, vans and homes all producing pollution ontop of the crap 18 million people are breathing this morning.

3 April 2014, 09:36,
RE: Ten out of TEN
very interesting that one scientist yesterday included emissions from DIESEL engines to the list.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2014, 09:54,
Yeah diesel particulates are nasty they do cause cancer and the problem is compounded in that when the percentage of DPs creeps up it can be attracted and held by electromagnetic fields emanating from pylons, phone masts, sub stations etc concentrating the percentage in even higher amounts.

Just wait til the sun comes out and turns the crap into sulphur dioxide and acid rain, seriously I am NOT gloating but I think those preppers who live in the SE are braver than me because of the multiple extra hazards they have to contend with almost daily, Pollution, terrorism, violent crime, nasty bugs etc

One of these commercial radio stations that uses syndicated news services is just saying people are flocking to cycle shops to buy those cyclists face masks that are pollution and particulate filters so popular with cycle couriers in London.

3 April 2014, 12:52,
on the lunchtime news they said on a pollution scale of 1-10 London is a 10! (SE is a 9 and Wales is an 8).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2014, 13:06,
Can I just make one note that is worth remembering.

'Chinese Smog' e.g. walking around in Hong Kong, would class the UK's pollution level 10 as being a level 2.

It's all relative, and of very little effect, unless you're very elderly or young, or have really bad asthma.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 April 2014, 13:08,
I don't know about that Scythe, I don't think I'd like to walk around in it, thank goodness we both live in the clean and pollution free south west!Big Grin
3 April 2014, 13:12,
(3 April 2014, 13:08)bigpaul Wrote: I don't know about that Scythe, I don't think I'd like to walk around in it, thank goodness we both live in the clean and pollution free south west!Big Grin

Pretty crazy isn't it BP?

Best of all, they don't know what percentage the dust and European pollution makes up the current 10 rating.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 April 2014, 13:29,
As a Norfolk resident I find the 10 dangerously polluted label a bit strange. Yes we had a bit of an early morning fog/smog which dissipated during the morning with sunshine and a light wind in evidence. No one I have talked to over the last few days has made more than just a passing comment on the event. However some of the national papers have indicated this dangerous pollution covering a large portion of the county including where I live. The smogs I lived through as a child were far worse than this and they happened on a fairly regular basis. So what is all the fuss about?
3 April 2014, 13:55,
According to the World Health Organization, the recommended safe limit for PM2.5 particulate readings is 25.
In the part of China I live in, we regularly had readings over 300 last year, with several days above 500 and even one of 600. Although the schools had to close down and people were told to stay indoors, most people of course had to go to work etc, so masks of any thickness were the order of the day.

This is another reason (in addition to epidemic) that I am stocking up on face masks. I only have the cheap disposable ones at the moment, but will be looking to stock up on the industrial ones soon when I have some cash.
3 April 2014, 17:29,
Just another of the endless, obligatory health scare stories our media spouts out, fear of this, fear of that, don't worry we the government will save you, stay tuned for more advice, call this hotline if you are worried etc etc.
Do you want to know more citizen?