Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just contemplating
4 April 2014, 14:09,
Just contemplating
No, CONTEMPLATING SD its the other thing that is rude Smile

Just walking the Were-terrier after his daily meal of fresh Wildebeest and I realised as I walked across the drawbridge of Castle NR that apart from my watch, specs and cell phone I had no other useful items of kit about my tanned, ripped noble masculine body (shurrup you).

And by pure good fortune both of my remaining brain cells were firing together and I pondered thus.

" We chat, debate, adjust and adapt our EDC gear, BOBS, GHBs etc but surely at some point we could inadvertently or accidently be separated from our kits when TSHTF. Don't ask for examples I'm not trying to start a debate just getting us to perhaps contemplate how we can deal with such a problem.

Imagine being without your kit and relying on simply whats in your pockets when you walk the mutt, nip to the chippy, go out for a breath of fresh air, pop into town, just......... whatever, just stop and give thought that just perhaps you MAY be more comfy and better prepped if you just plonk a small amount of gear in your coat pocket. Just something useful, anything you feel could be handy at short notice that you would normally grab from your GHB / DEDC or BOB,
perhaps like Scythes thread about five essential items to choose you could select 3 , 4 or 5 items of useful gear and always keep em in your pocket / on your belt.

Small UK legal folder ????
Small AA LED tactical flashlight ????
Cheap butane lighter ??????
Multi tool????
Small Clamshell cell phone with built in torch n compass
Something like a Gerber Artifact on your key chain etc.

The choice is clearly yours to make and I doubt there's a wrong answer but I do think its worth just thinking about at least having just a few damn useful essentials in your pocket or hanging from your belt basically from when you get up until you go to bed??

4 April 2014, 14:46,
RE: Just contemplating
on me at ALL times (unless I'm in bed that isBig Grin): mobile phone, lock knife, length of key chain(actually its a metal dog chain), mini survival kit with contents, Jack Pyle mini knife..looks like a shotgun shell but it a non folding legal knife, belt, spectacles, bandana(I use it as a handkerchief) watch and paracord bracelet.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2014, 14:56,
NR, I'm sure having me on your Ignore List is hampering your prepping.

I remember making a post about what gear you'd have in a snatch bag, should you lose your BOB for some reason...

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=6307

There it is!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 April 2014, 15:06,
I have 3 items in each of my coats.

knife
torch
lighter

I leave these in there all the time, for those instances where I dash out of the house in a hurry. They're not all the best items one could have, but they'll see me through until I get home. I find the torch very handy, especially on those days where you set out to walk muttlye on a quick jaunt, then find a new route etc, and before you realise it's getting dark. This, I find, works well in the winter.

Summer time, I have to remember that I'm not taking a coat, and should load my pockets up before departing. Not so much of a problem when it's just a quick walk to the shops, or walking the dog, but there's that "every now and then" when you may be out and about locally, then suddenly venture out further afield (when you would normally have your EDC / GHB) unexpectedly.

Everyone is prone to this though, which I why I'm always on the look out for discarded items that can serve a purpose. i.e. discarded drinks cans (coke can) can be twsited and folded into a point / sharp edge for self defence etc. Broken headlight parts (from minor rta) / broken bicycle chains, all sorts.
There's a whole gamut of stuff kicking around that can be used in a pinch.
4 April 2014, 15:15,
(4 April 2014, 15:06)BeardyMan Wrote: I'm always on the look out for discarded items that can serve a purpose. i.e. discarded drinks cans (coke can) can be twsited and folded into a point / sharp edge for self defence etc. Broken headlight parts (from minor rta) / broken bicycle chains, all sorts.
I'm the first one to look for discarded stuff to reuse but my first thought when reading your reply was: do you go looking for trouble? or do you just live in a bad area? sorry, but it sort of reads that way.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2014, 15:25,
(4 April 2014, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote:
(4 April 2014, 15:06)BeardyMan Wrote: I'm always on the look out for discarded items that can serve a purpose. i.e. discarded drinks cans (coke can) can be twsited and folded into a point / sharp edge for self defence etc. Broken headlight parts (from minor rta) / broken bicycle chains, all sorts.
I'm the first one to look for discarded stuff to reuse but my first thought when reading your reply was: do you go looking for trouble? or do you just live in a bad area? sorry, but it sort of reads that way.

I think you maybe should read it again. Properly this time...
4 April 2014, 15:30,
(4 April 2014, 15:25)BeardyMan Wrote:
(4 April 2014, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote:

I think you maybe should read it again. Properly this time...

"coke can-sharp edge for defence, broken headlight, bicycle chain!" yep, your going looking for a fight.
4 April 2014, 15:37,
(4 April 2014, 15:30)bigpaul Wrote: "coke can-sharp edge for defence, broken headlight, bicycle chain!" yep, your going looking for a fight.

(4 April 2014, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote: on me at ALL times (unless I'm in bed that isBig Grin): mobile phone, lock knife, length of key chain(actually its a metal dog chain), mini survival kit with contents, Jack Pyle mini knife..looks like a shotgun shell but it a non folding legal knife, belt, spectacles, bandana(I use it as a handkerchief) watch and paracord bracelet.

Rolleyes

Some people eh.....
4 April 2014, 15:42,
(4 April 2014, 15:37)BeardyMan Wrote:
(4 April 2014, 15:30)bigpaul Wrote: "coke can-sharp edge for defence, broken headlight, bicycle chain!" yep, your going looking for a fight.

(4 April 2014, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote: on me at ALL times (unless I'm in bed that isBig Grin): mobile phone, lock knife, length of key chain(actually its a metal dog chain), mini survival kit with contents, Jack Pyle mini knife..looks like a shotgun shell but it a non folding legal knife, belt, spectacles, bandana(I use it as a handkerchief) watch and paracord bracelet.

Rolleyes

Some people eh.....

meaning???
4 April 2014, 15:43,
(4 April 2014, 15:42)bigpaul Wrote:
(4 April 2014, 15:37)BeardyMan Wrote:

Rolleyes

Some people eh.....

meaning???

I'm sure you can work it out...

Well, maybe not, actually Big Grin