Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the Land owners?
30 May 2021, 02:14,
RE: Who are the Land owners?
In the USA, particularly in the west, most undeveloped land is owned by the Federal government and managed by either the Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, or by tribal governments on the reservations. East 8f the Mississippi state governments own and manage large tracts not privately owned or controlled by the Feds. Where I live in West Virginia state game management areas and forest lands are open to public use for recreational purposes, hiking, hunting, camping and fishing. Overnight camping is usually restricted to designated areas, but backcountry use permits can be obtained for wilderness exploration, cross country skiing,mountaineering, etc. Mostly they want to know your area of operation for rescue purposes. It isn't kosher to set up a permanent camp or build cabin, but if you move every week or so and clean up your camp, remove all trash and debris, leaving the area as you find it, there is seldom an issue. In hard times I've known people who relocated to their hunting camp or lived in a cave for a year or more. I permitted a fellow I knew well to squat on my land in exchange for him cutting wood for me, doing some bush hogging and tending a shared garden. We shared some good times until he sorted out his situation and moved back into town with a new wife.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA

Messages In This Thread
Who are the Land owners? - by Razoromero - 7 April 2014, 12:46
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by Scythe13 - 7 April 2014, 13:18
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by bigpaul - 7 April 2014, 13:23
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by NorthernRaider - 7 April 2014, 13:25
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by Midnitemo - 7 April 2014, 16:45
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by Razoromero - 7 April 2014, 23:55
RE: Who are the Land owners? - by Devonian - 8 April 2014, 01:24