Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
9 April 2014, 12:28,
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
Dev, that's a great point, and to be fair, sometimes I'd say yes I'd use other stuff around, and other times I'd say no. If I wanted to stay more hidden, I'd opt for a lower profile 'wilderness' shelter. But even if I was using a farmers hut, certain parts of bushcraft, e.g. plant recognition, water sourcing, and the alike, would be very helpful, even with the extra manmade stuff around.

Would I spend hours making a wooden bowl? Hell no! I'd just go and get a bowl or source pan from the kitchen. Same as knives, I'd rather have one in my hand, than need to make one. I'm the first to admit I'd prefer an easier route.

With all that in mind, I'd also like to know what if I was forced out of where we are, and I had to bug out, I'd like to know that if all homes were occupied, or people were heading in that direction to occupy the building, I'd like to know that if it all goes wrong, I'm still able to build my own place for a night or 2, or however long. I can still get water, set traps, recognise plants, make tools. Having those skills gives me great comfort.

Yes, I'd like the easy route, but it's not always an option, and it's not always the wisest route to take either.

A very good question though, and one I think should ring loudly with many people.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views - by Scythe13 - 9 April 2014, 12:28