Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
10 April 2014, 12:01,
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
I heartily agree with Devonian and his point about the urbanised nature of most of our countryside. I feel the "bushcraft" proponents sometimes fail to understand the realities of the countryside and how their skill set would be used. For example many Youtube and TV programmes show people camping, trapping etc in the most favourable of areas, Woodland stuffed with resources, rivers with fish etc, whereas the reality of our land is very different, and resources are wide spread in heavy agricultural areas. It gives a false impression of how hard it is too get a feed from the countryside. "Well fed" Ray Mears can easily find food and resources in his ideal terrain, picked for that very reason, and mainly on private land by the way, but lets see him survive in a normal "field system" of hedges, ditches and small copse, which is the norm for most of England. Some of the Youtube videos are very misleading and are really nothing but camping, but with more CamoAngel The guy on Youtube who goes "surviving" in his stealth canoe with enough supplies to feed a small army three meals a day is a good example. This doesn't mean I diminish the importance of Bushcraft, rather the opposite I see it as extremely important, to me anyway. The realities of surviving for any length of time in our countryside, and living off the land should not be underestimated, and for me would be an absolute last resort, which is why I continually practice these skills, because if you don't use em you lose em.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views - by Tartar Horde - 10 April 2014, 12:01