Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick incase you get lost.
7 April 2014, 15:00,
Trick incase you get lost.
This is the result of an office discussion we're currently enjoying, so I thought I'd post this on here for everyone else to enjoy.

When you're on a journey, make sure you turn and look backwards to see the path that you've come down (please note, don't turn back and look behind you if you're driving...stay safe). So let's say we're out for a 10 mile walk, every now and again, stop and look behind you. The reason for this, the route you walk down does look familiar, but if you turn around and go back the way you came, it can look VERY different and you can easily enough end up heading in the wrong direction. By taking the time to stop and look behind you, it gives you familiarities with the same route, in reverse.

The idea is that if you turn and start walking back the way you came, you have points that you will recognise, to let you know you're heading back the right way.

Obviously there is going to be blurb about maps and the alike, but that's only useful if you know where you are or are able to find your location on a map, using map referrence points (see my post about map reading without a compass).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 18:49,
RE: Trick incase you get lost.
S13 you've lost me!...no pun intended!...if you're on a path,track or road,driving or walking then in my mind you're not lost as these things are man made and link one destination to another, you may just be travelling in the wrong direction for a while but if you persevere you will get somewhere and if its the wrong somewhere then you turn round and go to the right somewhere, tis basically a 50/50 punt at the end of the day....if you get to a fork in the path/road/track that you don't remember then chances are you're heading for that wrong somewhere so do a 180. lol.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 April 2014, 19:26,
Although no pun was intended, it still made me laugh.

Basically, imagine you're not on a road or obvious path. If you are travelling in a certain direction and end up thinking you're lost, the route back the way you came will look very different from the path you took. So, by turning around now and again, it gets you more familiar with the route back to where you were.

Does that make more sense?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 19:48,
Yeah i get it...basically don't put your head down and pump those arms but keep your head up and pay attention to your surroundings....sort of the same reason why i keep my sat nav use to a minimum...i like to remember where i've been and how i got there lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 April 2014, 20:01,
This is a basic survival navigation skill usually for close terrain ie woodland or possibly jungle, but good to use anywhere. Your brain is much better at retracing your steps if you have an image of where you have come from by regularly looking back, also helps to identify way markers each time you look back ie a particular tree or rock etc.
I have regularly used this technique to be able to retrace my steps back to particular trees and plants deep in the local woods that are off any foot paths.
If you trust to trying to think your way back with out looking back you will invariably wander off your intended route. Scythe is right with this one and it is a good habit to get into
7 April 2014, 21:02,
When taking a compass bearing, also shoot a back-azimuth and note landmarks and terrain features on your back trail.

This is a great aid if returning later by the same route. Using surveyors flagging tape at intervals is also helpful.
For night ops APALS marker lights are an inexpensive alternative to chemical light sticks and they have a 35-hour run time.
I week an assortment of these in my kit.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/brite-strike-apals.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
7 April 2014, 23:41,
In a SHTF scenario you're gonna spend a lot of time looking behind you. I know I am. Isn't all this called situational awareness? The only time I can see myself getting lost is in the 'navigation out the window, run for your lives' scenario.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
8 April 2014, 01:43,
Knowing where you are and where you are going, in an escape and evasion scenario is vital, lest you run directly into an area where hostiles control the access and egress points. Being able to observe ahead from a position of concealment is important for both route selection and security.

If you just "run for your lives" from one threat, you are likely to find another one which is worse than the one you were fleeing!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
8 April 2014, 09:27,
I intend on never getting to the 'run for your lives' scenario doing exactly as you suggested!
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
8 April 2014, 09:49,
If you're walking through woodland, then put a blaze mark on a tree, at the same height on each tree you mark. You only need to remove a strip of bark. Keep them close enough together so you can see the next one along the line from the one you've just marked, then you'll find your way back without issue.