Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Kit
8 April 2014, 12:58,
Hunting Kit
We all know I'm very conscious of fashion, and I love few things as much as sporting a lovely new bag. I mean....who doesn't?

Recently I've been thinking about life post SHTF.

One of the ways to go out and get food is through trapping and hunting. In an hour, it would be easy enough to come back with a rabbit or 2, and not cause a massive decline in the bunny population. Providing not everyone else does the same thing, that is.

So, I've started building up a hunting bag, or a food procurement bag.

So far, it's only a small bag, as it's designed for a short expedition and to come back with quite minimal amounts of food.

At the moment the contents is pretty basic, but for a quick hunt, it doesn't need to be too complex. Without further adue, I give you...my contents list.

1. Bag. Just a small bag, Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.
2. Havalon Piranta Knife (if you plan on skinning animals and you don't have one of these....sort it out! Get one. You'll be more than impressed)
3. Pocket torch x2
4. Pellets, both .22 and .177
5. Gun Lube/oil
6. Water bottle (with water in, obviously)
7. Small gill net
8. Small sprung traps
9. Multi tool
10. Bike tool (like a multi-tool but it has allen key bits)
11. Scope cleaner pads
12. Spare batteries
13. Scope cleaner pen (it's a super fine dust remover that won't damage a scope lense)
14. Green Shemagh, for a little face camo and warmth
15. Small folder knife
16. Spare CO2 cylinders
17. Spare O-rings
18. Meat bags (small cloth bags to carry any 'harvested' meat back in)
19. Snare wire

Would be good to get some extra feedback on other items it might be worth carrying.

Already have an FAK with me, but not carried in the bag.

All in all, it's just to go out with an air rifle and to pop some bunnies for food.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 April 2014, 13:17,
RE: Hunting Kit
Good list. I'd probably chuck in some gloves (if you want) and some wet wipes. Saves wiping blood on your clothes.
8 April 2014, 13:31,
forget hunting-too time consuming, put up some snares and traps on game trails and check them at least twice a day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2014, 13:35,
Maybe add in a little folding sit mat? Handy to have. Mine folds up very small.
8 April 2014, 15:20,
(8 April 2014, 13:31)bigpaul Wrote: forget hunting-too time consuming, put up some snares and traps on game trails and check them at least twice a day.

Already in the kit mate. See above list.
8 April 2014, 15:36,
(8 April 2014, 13:35)BeardyMan Wrote: Maybe add in a little folding sit mat? Handy to have. Mine folds up very small.

Or a set of knee pads/inserts.
8 April 2014, 15:47,
(8 April 2014, 15:36)Devonian Wrote:
(8 April 2014, 13:35)BeardyMan Wrote: Maybe add in a little folding sit mat? Handy to have. Mine folds up very small.

Yup. I used to go for knee pads, but if you want to sit on wet ground, I find the mat better as no rummaging around trying to get the pads out of the trousers!
8 April 2014, 16:15,
(8 April 2014, 15:47)BeardyMan Wrote:
(8 April 2014, 15:36)Devonian Wrote:

Yup. I used to go for knee pads, but if you want to sit on wet ground, I find the mat better as no rummaging around trying to get the pads out of the trousers!

Ahhhhh, but not if you are wearing your silent waterproof hunting trousers:

http://www.ardmoor.co.uk/products/11-02-...c-trousers Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
8 April 2014, 18:41, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2014, 18:47 by Midnitemo.)
priest!

and no not to give the last rites to your prey lol....well yes i spose in a way yes to give the last rites sort off lol

bino's...tis bad form to scan with a scope...i know we've all done it but its wrong!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
9 April 2014, 09:18,
(8 April 2014, 18:41)Midnitemo Wrote: bino's...tis bad form to scan with a scope...i know we've all done it but its wrong!

Good point.

I will admit, my hunt bag is in the car, so the list is just to the best of my memory. I do have a 16x monocular in there too. Oddly, aside from the water bottle, it's probably the biggest item in the bag, and yet I still forgot it HAHA.