Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazy Boy Fishing
9 April 2014, 11:35, (This post was last modified: 9 April 2014, 12:30 by Scythe13.)
Lazy Boy Fishing
This is something I keep meaning to post up, but I've only just remembered about it.

As we all know, I like to take the easy way out of things. As an example, I like to stay pretty strict on my diet, because I hate having to do loads of times diet meals with weighed out portions....boring! I like to train hard and heavy, because I don't like the effort it takes to slog an unfit body around. I like to sit and hunt from one spot (rifle style), because I'm lazy and hate slogging gear everywhere and even pulling the string of a bow (way too much effort). I love ultralite gear, because I'm lazy and once again hate slogging gear everywhere.

Well, now it's time for lazy-boy fishing techniques.

While it's simple enough to throw out a hook and wait for the fish to get hungry. That's too much effort, reeling them in. Screw that. I'd rather be at home in bed!

If you are like me and are looking at spending as little time as possible in your food procurement stuff, then look no further. I have a lovely solution. It's fishing, that involves you not being there.

Enter my favourite piece of fishing gear, the GILL NET.

They're easy enough to buy or make. All you need to do is set one up across a stretch of water, then go back to bed. Turn up in the morning, and reap the rewards. No fighting a fish on a line, no baiting hooks. No setting lead weights, no staying awake to watch floats bob up and down.

Just get the net, set it up, then go back to bed. Arrive the next day, then enjoy a fishy breakfast.

Please note, I'm not against anyone who wants to use the good old rod and hook technique. But for me, I'd rather spend that time doing other things.

Enjoy.

Forgot to mention, a tight gill net can be thrown over the outside of a tree, and will catch birds flying to land on the branches.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 April 2014, 13:28,
RE: Lazy Boy Fishing
Just don't use it now!

I've got 2 at home, waiting for the right time...
9 April 2014, 15:01,
aren't they illegal? at this time?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
9 April 2014, 15:08, (This post was last modified: 9 April 2014, 15:12 by BeardyMan.)
(9 April 2014, 15:01)Midnitemo Wrote: aren't they illegal? at this time?

Yup - hence my "Just don't use it now!" post.

I found one stretched across a river before. Pub beer garden backed onto stretch of river, so I went to investigate. It was evidently pretty old, as it was shredded, but you could clearly see that it was a gill net in a previous life. That was down in Southampton.

I can only presume that the pub did a decent fish & chips once upon a time... Big Grin

The Italians (I think, could be completely wrong here. May be Turks or Greeks) chuck something similar up inbetween trees (as Scythe pointed out) to catch starlings (or similar tasty little critters)
10 May 2016, 16:56,
if you want a legal lazy fishing technique with very little effort involved why not try "Nightlining" ?
All you need are a couple of scrap pieces of wood,something like washing line,(paracord would be excellent but pricey),a spade or fork(An entrenching tool would do)some 30lb nylon fishing line, as many hooks as you want to bait(Preferably stainless steel), bait, and most importantly the local tide table.
this method works best on sandy,shallow beaches where the tide goes out a decent distance.
So here is the procedure
1 Take 2 scrap pieces of wood about the area of a shoe box and more than 1cm thick( note I said wood fibreboard or ply won't work not robust enough) and make a hole in the centre of each anything between 3-5 mm its not critical.
2 Fix (knot) both ends of the paracord each to a board
3 Lets assume you use 10 metres length every metre tie an overhand knot to form a SMALL loop.
4 Tie the hooks (I find size 2/0 to be ideal) onto 45cm or so of line (18" in old money ).
5 At the other end from the hook tie an overhand knot to form a small loop.
6 These lengths (Called snoods) can now easily be fastened to the main line(paracord) using a simple cow hitch onto the loops you formed.
7 Off to the beach to coincide with LOW water(Use a tide table to find your local low water time)
8 Go down the beach and find a suitable spot I'll talk more about that later But NOT down as far as the low water level but anything in that last quarter of the sand would be suitable.
9 Dig a hole and bury one end.(About 50cms is ideal)
10 Stretch out your mainline (paracord) and whilst maintaining tension bury the other board.
11 Bait your hooks and fasten one snood to each of the loops.(More about bait later)
12 Now don't leave the beach until the incoming tide covers your line !
13 Go home and sleep !
14 Get up BEFORE low water go to the beach with the aim of being there as the receding tide uncovers your line, and as it does harvest your bounty!
It sounds much more complicated than it actually is but its fishing for you whilst you are doing something else again if you want to fish with rod and line good for you i'm not knocking it just trying to make life easier.
11 May 2016, 12:16,
This is a top notch idea, and I have ued it many times. Like all static systems it works all the time once set, and importantly it can be very stealthy. Cast nets on the other hand are very visual and you could be spotted, although they can be very productive they are time consuming to use as it is not just a question of "chucking" it in. Gill nets are superb, and if set across part of a river for instance can be extremely productive in a short period of time. Fish traps, especially for Eels are a tried and tested method and work very well, if you have an "Eely" water. Traps and nets are the way to go regarding Fish, as using rod and line/cast net/bowfishing take up time that could be used on other things.
11 May 2016, 12:52,
(11 May 2016, 12:16)Tartar Horde Wrote: This is a top notch idea, and I have ued it many times. Like all static systems it works all the time once set, and importantly it can be very stealthy. Cast nets on the other hand are very visual and you could be spotted, although they can be very productive they are time consuming to use as it is not just a question of "chucking" it in. Gill nets are superb, and if set across part of a river for instance can be extremely productive in a short period of time. Fish traps, especially for Eels are a tried and tested method and work very well, if you have an "Eely" water. Traps and nets are the way to go regarding Fish, as using rod and line/cast net/bowfishing take up time that could be used on other things.
These methods are dependant on having the nets etc and the knowledge to use them, that knowledge consisting of being able to "read" the water for the best position to set your nets. In an emergency situation where you have to get Fish you can use "tribal" methods where you use certain plants to immobilise Fish. These work great on small ponds/stillwaters/garden ponds etc but require preparation and precautions to use. In the UK we have a common weed called "Euphorbia peplus" petty spurge which grows everywhere, I have some in my garden now, and I bet there is some very near to all of you! it's that small weed that when gardening you break the stems and it bleeds white sap. That sap is lethal to Fish as it affects their ability to breathe, just like the plant the Amazonian Indians use. after collecting the plant you need to crush it well in a container to release the sap. Adding a little water to make a "solution", this solution is added to the water. CAUTION: Do not crush with bare hands if you have any cuts or abrasions.
Caution: Do not get into eyes, or Mouth.
The poison does not affect the flesh of the Fish, just it's ability to breathe.
Most towns and villages have ornamental ponds and "Village" ponds and they all tend to be full of fat Carp, Goldfish and Roach etc. In a survival situation without a net you could use this method to get easy food. As long as you understand the dangers there is no reason why we shouldn't use mother natures weapons as part of our arsenal.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12 May 2016, 12:03,
This method used daily is more than capable of feeding a family and with a variation in species give a varied menu and tastes I use it myself on a regular basis, albeit with a little bit more sophistication I use swivels to attach the snoods to the line not loops but in a SHTF situation you might not be able to source them so loops are perfectly adequate.
I eat fresh fish often lol Have you seen the price of it in the shops !
10 April 2017, 21:02,
(10 May 2016, 16:56)swbirdy64 Wrote: if you want a legal lazy fishing technique with very little effort involved why not try "Nightlining"?

Mike from MCQ demonstrated this technique in a recent video. I think?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OPXUFmJ6I

He calls in "trotline".