Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival
11 April 2014, 23:21,
RE: Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival
(11 April 2014, 22:01)Tartar Horde Wrote: The only way to understand the difficulties of surviving in our countryside is to actually try it out. Anyone can survive for a week with supplies etc, but the real test comes when you apply the worst case scenario test and try to do it with the minimum of gear. Shelter, fire making equipment, water purification, snares, etc. Only eat what you can trap, shoot, fish or forage. For water if you have no rivers or springs then it's ditch water that you will have to purify to survive. Try it for one week, you will find water is the least of your worries if you have effective filtration as you can drink anything, food on the other hand will be much harder to get and by the end of the week you will be willing to rip new born puppies apart to eat. Those of you with access to land should try this, as it really is an eye opener.

I tried this for 5 weeks...granted it was on a tropical island with coconuts aplenty...and the shelter building was the hardest part to 'master'. We had a heavy storm one night and that survival skills crap failed miserably. A hard lesson learned. Next time I was out with the lads snowboarding and we made shelters for fun...Damn right I put in a crap load more effort. If it was a real survival situation in a colder climate, the tropical storm would have been a killer!!! Glad I learned that lesson safely.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival - by Scythe13 - 10 April 2014, 13:19
RE: Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival - by Sunna - 10 April 2014, 13:47
RE: Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival - by Scythe13 - 11 April 2014, 23:21