Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Return of the Wilderness to the UK?
11 April 2014, 16:00,
RE: Return of the Wilderness to the UK?
I spose there will be lots of local variation, from fertility of soil to number of grass nimmblers like bunnies and sheep surviving to numbers of wild pigs and deers chewing on saplings. Some ponds with plenty of carp wont be inundated with pond weed others will soon clog up. The west of the UK tends to get more rain which will push plant growth more than over the east.

11 April 2014, 16:10,
(11 April 2014, 15:56)bigpaul Wrote: i'll say no more.

Is that a promise??
11 April 2014, 16:20,
(11 April 2014, 15:45)Binnie Wrote: lol you know what i was getting at,

i didn't mean 18" of grass is wilderness, but a seemingly innocent patch of land can become pretty wild if it's not maintained

Yes, fair enough, I just think a lot of people (not specifically you) seem to be suggesting that the UK is suddenly going to become the Rocky Mountains and we are all going to turn into Grizzly Adams Wink
11 April 2014, 16:32,
Sabre Tooth Squirrels roaming free in Walton on Thames ? Smile

11 April 2014, 17:38,
why not? we've got wild boar and mink so why not.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 April 2014, 22:23,
The last time these islands could be called wilderness was during the mesolithic C8000 BP, the land was inhabited by small bands of hunter gatherers, moving seasonally between lowlands and higher ground in summer. The only way true wilderness could ever become reality is for the human population to crash so severly that the remaining numbers have no effect, or the ability to fix the infrastructure. For the broadleaf forests to grow nationwide again and all the rivers to follow their natural courses would in my opinion take 500-1000 years of growth to return the land to it's pristine pre agricultural state. I'm used to dealing in large amounts of time and this period in reality to geological time is but a blink of the eye.
12 April 2014, 12:59,
Would agree with bp 3 to 5. There's some common land the council wanted to much rent for in my area. The farmer I knew refused to pay the extra. They planted some trees there and it's basically derelict. Within two years support trees had sprung up growing better than the ones planted
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
12 April 2014, 13:05, (This post was last modified: 12 April 2014, 13:12 by bigpaul.)
(11 April 2014, 22:23)Tartar Horde Wrote: The last time these islands could be called wilderness was during the mesolithic C8000 BP, the land was inhabited by small bands of hunter gatherers, moving seasonally between lowlands and higher ground in summer. The only way true wilderness could ever become reality is for the human population to crash so severly that the remaining numbers have no effect, or the ability to fix the infrastructure.

isn't that the sort of event we are all prepping for? or am I the only one?

or is everybody else on here 6 mothers? 6 months and its back to "business as usual".

that's 6 monthers...not mothers!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 April 2014, 14:31,
You know me brother, I'm praying for the return of the Mammoth, why else would I be making beast killing bone points and pulling Bows of heroic proportionsWink
12 April 2014, 16:31,
you and me bothBig Grin