Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of the Wilderness, part 2
12 April 2014, 09:54,
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2
I reckon much of the survival wildlife ( Larger Mammals and Birds) will be reduced to almost extinction levels in the aftermath of a societal collapse, few ordinary people will think about keeping breeding stocks of anyting when they have an empty belly so just about every deer, cow, goat, sheep and pig will be eaten. Yeah sure some crafty wild boar, wild goats, smaller deer etc will survive but I reckon we will see the bigger critters take a real battering, number then of course will struggle for many years so long as the number of hungry humans predating on them remains high.

Sea fish once commercial fishing stops should recover to healthy levels in around 10 years according to the EU ( if you can believe them) However it is noted that when sea fish stocks collapsed off the Canadian coast about 30 years ago causing the governments to ban certain commercial fishing in that area it is reported the stocks are only now starting to improve.

River / Freshwater fish is going to be another ballgame altogether, primarily because so many suitable rivers now have dams and wears stopping migrating fish, some such recover within one or two breeding cycles ( tween 2 and 10 years depending on species and habitat regions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon especially on good rivers without dams like the Tweed.

Dunno about other riverine species I guess it will depend on how badly they get fished in the initial aftermath, how much pollution in the following years seeps into waterways etc.

The prudent prepper like some on this forum intend to breed in part their own food fish, I guess they could also restock local water ways with fry ?

Messages In This Thread
Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by Scythe13 - 12 April 2014, 08:06
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by NorthernRaider - 12 April 2014, 09:54
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by Binnie - 12 April 2014, 10:03
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by Binnie - 12 April 2014, 11:59
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by TOF - 12 April 2014, 16:35
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by bigpaul - 12 April 2014, 16:39
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by bigpaul - 12 April 2014, 16:59
RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2 - by bigpaul - 12 April 2014, 17:40