Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown Fat
15 April 2014, 14:04,
Brown Fat
Has anyone ever considered introducing themselves to cold exposure,

i saw something on TV years ago where some old punter went swimming in the sea every morning, he looked chunky, but it was a layer of "brown fat"

the same layer we have as infants.

this guy, a retired gent, could swim in the water in winter as long as he wanted, in temps that would likely kill most of us in 5 minutes.

Wikipedia explaination of Brown Fat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue

MY thinking is that it would lessen my reliance on external heat sources, helping me tolerate severe winters and inclement weather?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
15 April 2014, 14:13, (This post was last modified: 15 April 2014, 14:15 by Scythe13.)
RE: Brown Fat
A cold shower every morning. I think they've been referred to as Bond Showers (like James Bond).

Cold water exposure increases your resiliance to drowning too. You lessen your 'gasp' reaction when you come into contact with cold water, so the odds of drowning are much lower. Add to this the fact that you can reduce subcontaneous (below the skin) bodyfat, and you have a brilliant exercise friend. Let's not mention the benefits of reducing swelling and increasing the body's ability to heal...meaning you can train harder more often (think of the number of ultra-endurance athletes, pro fighters or rugby players that use ice baths).

One word of warning, if you are having cold showers, don't get your head wet and cold. The shower should be from your shoulders down, and don't have your head submerged either. You will have a headache for around 3 days if you do. Oh, and it can really [insert F word] you up!

Best to stick with a warm shower, then make it gradually colder, slowly. Or a luke warm bath, then start adding the odd icecube...ice pack, and a little cold water.

I remember my first ice bath. The water was freezing cold, I got to the point where I was kneeling in the water, and I had ice bobbing around me. I figured it was more fun to trick my mind into thinking I was in a warm bath by slowly making it cold. The thermogenics worked a treat.

Also, you might want to check out GLUT-4 for the fat loss science behind cold exposure.

I think there's a norse guy (might be in Amsterdam actually) that runs marathons in just shorts and shoes in the snow.

WIM HOF

The Iceman. You'd be interested in his workshops Binnie.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2014, 14:27,
RE: Brown Fat
(15 April 2014, 14:13)Scythe13 Wrote: WIM HOF

The Iceman. You'd be interested in his workshops Binnie.

Thanks, checked him out, total legend
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....