Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Go at Homemade Fruit Flavouring for water.
19 April 2014, 16:53, (This post was last modified: 19 April 2014, 16:57 by TOF.)
A Go at Homemade Fruit Flavouring for water.
Following on from Scythe's question re; Orange Squash storage. I thought I'd have a go at making some sort of fruit flavouring for water.
I needed to dehydrate some Mushrooms, so got a pack of Strawberries and dehydrated a few.

Then rehydrated them in hot water 30 minutes.

Blitzed in Liquidiser and made up to a glassful. I then passed it through a sieve and added a teaspoon of sugar and a couple of ice cubes.

The result? Well, it’s defo better than water, but a bit of a faff just for a fruity drink.
So, with that in mind, I am going to try making a drink from some fruit leather, and I will try making a powder from the fruit before adding the water.
Hopefully I can post the results in a week or so.

Just to add, this method was from The Complete Book of Dehydrating. By Mary Bell.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
19 April 2014, 21:49,
RE: A Go at Homemade Fruit Flavouring for water.
Nice one TOF.

Would you like to do a wonderful experiment for me...pretty please?

The same kind of thing, with an orange, cold water, and no blender. Well, I say no blender. A pestle and mortar, while they're in dehydrated form. Maybe a grater first, then a pestle and mortar. Then rehydrate with cold water.

This way, we can be more certain of repeated results post SHTF, when there may not be electricity and...because I'm lazy and would rather use cold water instead of spend the extra effort heating some up haha.

I need to get a new dehydrator as butter-fingers and dehydrators + gravity...turns out not a great start to the day haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2014, 22:29,
I have no problem with the pestle and mortar thing, but my little dehydrator doesn't do citrus fruit very well. So I will happily have a go at making a powder, but I can't guarantee the results with an orange.

19 April 2014, 23:19,
That's cool TOF. Thank you.

Look forward to the results. If we can get it as a powder, it'll mean masses of storage in a smaller area, but more importantly, it makes is easier to mix as a powder, and thus easier to carry too!

Really excited to see how this goes.
21 April 2014, 01:52,
Wish this had a 'like' button...

23 April 2014, 08:35, (This post was last modified: 23 April 2014, 09:02 by TOF.)
An Orange is in the dehydrator.Big Grin

Have now added some mashed Pears to make leather.

23 April 2014, 09:10,
NICE!!!

Get that pestle and mortar ready.

I'm excited to see how this goes.
25 April 2014, 21:24,
Well, the results are in.

The orange, as I thought didn't dehydrate that well, but I managed to get a coarse powder, which when added to water made a rather jolly orange drink 'with bits' I think it would probably have been better if I could have got a finer powder, but as requested by Scythe I used a pestle and morter(you owe me a sticky bun for my efforts young man)

The pear leather made a smoother drink, and the flavour was great, but the downside was having to wait 40 minutes for it to dissolve.

25 April 2014, 22:09,
Thats good stuff again TOF.

Another benefit of being able to make some kind of fruit drink would be to disguise the taste of any chemicals you may have used to purify the water. Those with kids might find it easier to get their kids to drink a homemade orange squash than drink water tasting of bleach
25 April 2014, 23:55,
Brilliant outcome there TOF!

You've earned a couple of sticky buns!