Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IR Floodlight
20 April 2014, 07:41,
IR Floodlight
Scythe asked me to update on the 48LED IR lamp that I reported purchasing yesterday.

This is the beastie:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200921424842?s...1439.l2649

It purports to have a metal shell, glass lens and auto power in in low light conditions. Certainly it looks correct and there seems to be a light sensing cell in there. At less than £6.00, I thought it worth a punt.

It is winging its way from China, so will be a week or so before its in my hands.

The CCTV system I've installed works fine, but I need a little more IR range on one of the cameras. Currently IR range is around 40ft. This device is to boost IR illumination beyond the currently illuminated area.

I already have a live 12v powered cable at the location I want to position it, so it should be a simple install.

I'll update this thread to report on performance after I've got it installed
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 April 2014, 08:17,
RE: IR Floodlight
Cool. I look forward to seeing the difference it makes.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 April 2014, 09:04,
Just a wee heads up about IR lamps in general.

1) check out the wavelength ie this one is 850nm which means it will be visible. I noticed they state that it's invisible but at 850nm it WILL be visible. Get 950nm for it to be virtually invisible to the naked eye
2) also check out the angle spread as well as the range so that it's suitable for what you want - in this case, LS, you should be good if you're wanting a stronger beam to compliment existing set up
3) for outdoor use check the IP rating ie weather proof or not
4) check the power consumption - don't overload your psu!
5) if you're unlucky, you may be paying extra for Chinese imports on delivery

Sounds like you're getting a nice little set up there, LS!
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
20 April 2014, 11:17, (This post was last modified: 20 April 2014, 11:19 by Lightspeed.)
Cheers for the feedback Nix,

Re IR wavelength. You are bang on right. The new system I've installed had the semi-visible IRs. In pitch dark I can see these from40ft away. At first that was disappointing but I've since had second thoughts. The faint glow shows that the system is active. Secondly I've installed dummy dome cameras nearby to the real ones. The dummies have fairly bright red flashing LEDs. They draw attention away from the real cameras brilliantly, making the real ones appear to be IR lighting units.

Power: Again, thanks. Cables are of adequate power rating, as is the PSU unit. But I am still a little concerned in this area and will be adding a fuse link in each 12v supply line to reduce potential fire risk.

IP rating: Just because the Chinese vendor states IP 66 or the like, and that its in a cast metal housing is no guarantee that it really is water tight. So far so good with the similar constructed cameras that i've put in. But I don't trust their durability at all. All are being installed on the underside of deep soffit boards, so are afforded high levels of protection from the elements. Time will tell if this is sufficient.... and another reason for putting fusible links on the power cables...

Import duty: I've imported a good deal from China now. I've noticed that as long as the transaction value is below around £25.00 I never get stung for duty. Above that value its hit and miss. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. he secret is to keep the individual packet value down.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 April 2014, 13:47,
Wow, the IR light arrived this morning from China in just a little over one week. I'm impressed.

Initial inspection shows the housing to be rigid plastic, not metal. It has 4 mounting holes and a twist to click securing bezel which feels a little fragile, and does not lock the lamp 100% in position. But from a few feet away it looks pretty much identical to the metal cased cameras that are already installed. The lens protecting the LEDs is glass as publicised, and the photocell does keep the lamp turned off in daylight.

I'll have a play with it (the lamp) over the coming evenings and will report back.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 April 2014, 15:12,
I was always told if you put up a dummy CCTV camera with a flashing LED, then that is like sticking up a big illuminated sign saying this is a dummy camera - after all real camera's don't have flashing lights on them!

Maybe look at disconnecting the flashing LED, if that can be done??
22 April 2014, 15:21,
Hi Dev,

the dummy is to draw attention away from the real one, long enough for the real one to image capture before it gets knocked out.

Additionally at night the flashing LED on the dummy is bright enough and close enough to mask the faint glow of the IR lamps on the real camera.

If someone really wants to get past the cameras or disable them they will. I'm just making myself an unattractive target.

If we have to go into full BO mode, all flashing LEDs will be disabled of course.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 April 2014, 15:51,
(22 April 2014, 15:21)Lightspeed Wrote: the dummy is to draw attention away from the real one, long enough for the real one to image capture before it gets knocked out.

Sounds like a plan..... Big Grin
22 April 2014, 20:30,
Time will tell :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 April 2014, 09:29,
Have you had time to play around with it mate? I've set up a couple of my air rifles with new IR torches. Very happy with the results.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin