Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
4 May 2014, 17:43,
RE: S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
HAHA, another bunch of fails.

While out on Dartmoor, I was trying to get some pics of crows up close, and a few of wood pigeons. I keep fighting the temptation to just get an easy few pics and wonder around the outskirts of the village. My plan is to get some awesome pics up close and personal. FAILED!!!

I had an amazing stalk on a crow on Saturday. I was on Dartmoor by Haytor, but the opposite side of the road (MCavity, it was where you parked mate) and I did a beast of a stalk. Using trees as cover, down low along a cut out made my a small stream, slowly up the opposite bank, sneaking right up on the crow. My head was just obscured by a small bush, but I was able to see through a small gap and the crow was there. Less than 5 meters away! I was on it. This crow was mine! I turn the camera on. The crow flinches, but it does not fly off. It turns its head scanning around to check what made the noise (the stupid rabbit from last time disappeared at this point). But nothing. He was alert, but staying put. Very slowly I raise up the camera up. For no reason that I could figure, up and offed. WHY?!?! Did I move too slow and it was hit natural time to fly off? Did I hesitate? Did I move too quickly? Then I notice the light reflecting off my camera lens onto the leaves in front of me. The camera shine must have spooked the crow. Stupid mistake.

Love how this is a challenge I created, and I'm failing.

Having said that, really focusing on it the amount I am have caused me to get some awesome wildlife photos! Many are small birds that I took as 'compensation' for my meal-animal picture. Granted the zoom was in use for many of them, but if it wasn't a meal bird, then the zoom was allowed haha.

Out and about tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some great pics.

Even though it's my challenge, I do feel it would be cheating to take a kill shot with my air rifle, then prop the animal back up and take a photo of it. But taking a photo then taking a kill-shot....really hard. The challenge is difficult, but the learning experience is great fun.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting - by Scythe13 - 4 May 2014, 17:43