Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat Tyre question post SHTF
23 April 2014, 14:31,
Flat Tyre question post SHTF
Just been thinking about issues that may effect us all, post SHTF.

Well, one thought was a flat tyre.

What plans do you have, incase you get a flat tyre post SHTF?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 April 2014, 14:33,
RE: Flat Tyre question post SHTF
carry a spare tyre???Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 April 2014, 14:38,
(23 April 2014, 14:33)bigpaul Wrote: carry a spare tyre???Tongue

Haha, I did see that coming...and I do.

But what if you get a second flat? What if you are one of those people whose car does not have a spare tyre in it? Or maybe you forgot to maintain your spare tyre?

What other contingencies have you taken for that?
23 April 2014, 14:42,
I have seen a pneumatic tyre repaired with small cross(rings) sections of bamboo placed inside the tyre for the whole circumference to keep the tyre of the rim , this ran like this for over 50km's at reduced load and speed.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
23 April 2014, 14:44,
Most off roaders will carry a spare (or two) plus they will have a meaty air compressor that can be run off the battery for re-inflating tyre and a Tyre Repair kit

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=s...&Itemid=14

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-38042...e+plug+kit
23 April 2014, 14:47,
if I bought a car without a spare I'd get a spare wheel from a scrap yard and get a new tyre fitted, probably get 2 maybe a whole set if I had storage room, otherwise get a tube of tyre inflator.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 April 2014, 14:48,
(23 April 2014, 14:42)Midnitemo Wrote: I have seen a pneumatic tyre repaired with small cross(rings) sections of bamboo placed inside the tyre for the whole circumference to keep the tyre of the rim , this ran like this for over 50km's at reduced load and speed.

That's an interesting thought. I guess you could just pack it out with bamboo or some other wood...wagon style even.
23 April 2014, 14:54,
I've seen one packed with grass. Doesn't go fast but it goes OK.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 April 2014, 16:32,
This is more serious that it at first appears.

OK so we all have spare tyres in our cars.

What do you in a world where you are on your own if you get two punctures and there's no kwikfit type support any more?

Options are Fix it yourself, or steal good wheels and tyres from someone else.

Ultimately, we need to know how to fix tyres ourselves.

Devonian: Would you be so kind as to describe how you 4x4 boys get tubeless tyres off their rims, what you use to repair them and how you get them back on the rims again?

The last 4x4 tyre I changed on my own was on an 88" landy.... but that was steel rims and tubed tyres.

Are tubes still available in modern LR rim sizes???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 April 2014, 16:47,
I'd be more concerned about how long the fuel supplies last, you can have all the tyres you like but without fuel no one is going anywhere...our fuel stations were empty within 36 hours during the fuel strike and weren't refilled until the strike was over. spare wheels can be obtained at any scrap yard or vehicle spares unit, fitting replacement tyres is something else, I've changed motorcycle tyres with hand tyre levers but car tyres? probably put my back out....permanently!!!