Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubbing Alcohol
28 July 2020, 14:30,
RE: Rubbing Alcohol
Yes and the medical professionals do surgery in operating rooms under sterile conditions too. That does not mean that what they know can not be put to use in the basement of a bombed out building.

If you are at the point where you need to make alcohol for medical and cleaning purposes you might not have access to technology that has only been available for the short term and is only in the hands of dedicated hobbiests and liquor factories. Humans have been distilling spirits for 1000 years without those nice devices that produce a repeatable precision product.

I doubt that anyone ever blew themselves up on a pinch of gunpowder and a spoonful of white whisky. I take that back I do know some people that could do that. You people are so far absorbed by the risk aversion thing I don't see how you get buy sometime.

At any rate the alcohol can be produced by anyone that took secondary school chemistry, or even less education, but they are not likely to have a hydrometer out in the garage or stuck back in the garden shed even though they might have the makings for the still if they rub their brain cells together.

The ability to make rubbing alcohol at home was very close to being put in use just a few weeks back when practically the world supply went dry. Even now hand sanitizer is difficult to find as is high concentration rubbing alcohol in my area. There is a factory down the road that is working three shifts seven days a week trying to fill that demand but it took them almost a month to get their raw materials sourced.

There was no high strength alcohol and aloe jell to make it from.

We were out. OWT! out!

Remember that bog roll scramble, the debates over proper use of the butt rag, shelves empty of kitchen roll, no disinfectant anywhere, bath soap stripped from the shelves?

And yes, there was a run on our liquor stores also. Their shelves got a little bare just after they called for the now seemingly forgotten "lockdown".

Messages In This Thread
Rubbing Alcohol - by Scythe13 - 23 April 2014, 14:36
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by CharlesHarris - 23 April 2014, 19:31
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Mortblanc - 24 July 2015, 23:46
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Straight Shooter - 25 July 2015, 09:00
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Mortblanc - 25 July 2015, 16:13
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Tartar Horde - 27 July 2020, 10:08
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Mortblanc - 27 July 2020, 21:52
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Tartar Horde - 28 July 2020, 11:06
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Mortblanc - 28 July 2020, 14:30
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Pete Grey - 1 August 2020, 00:18
RE: Rubbing Alcohol - by Tartar Horde - 10 September 2020, 12:57