Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
25 April 2014, 17:05,
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
For one reason or another, not everyone has their own vehicle. As such, there are many forum members relying on public transport as their only realistic way to travel any distance. This thread hopefully will at least help the non drivers among us think about what we carry and why.

Using public transport as your main means of getting about, throws up some peculiarly unique circumstances and to maintain a reasonable level of preparedness takes a bit of ingenuity. There are endless lists floating about the internet all purporting to be the definitive list of what you will need. Well, for a non driver, this is rarely relevant or possible to carry. Most lists are drawn up for the car owner who is able to carry a huge bag of kit and food in the boot. That list has to be pared down pretty quickly when weight, and just as importantly, legality become the main factors. Many of these lists include the kitchen sink, which wouldn't fit in my handbag.
So apart from the everyday things we all carry, like your mobile phone wallet/purse and keys, I see the main reasons for carrying some kit when using public transport to be: 1. a failure of the transport system (when you may need a ghb). 2. Accidents that could occur. 3. Delays. 4. Shut downs or 5. Getting stuck at a rail or bus station. None of these are ideal, but they could be times when a good edc or ghb could be very handy.

Firstly the bag.

Try and have one that blends in with the crowd, instead of those tactical military styles have a look at what everyone totes. A nondescript backpack, or a man bag, a good sized handbag for those of us of the laydee persuasion, bags that don’t stand out or that could put you on the radar should be the first consideration. Don’t forget, this is not a BOB (that’s a whole new thread), just a means of carrying the necessary kit around to get you home or keep you safe and comfortable until you are on the move again. You may want this bag to be comfortable to carry for hours at a time and of good solid construction.

Contents.

The two main concerns for a passenger GHB are weight and legality. Keep things small, multifunctional, lightweight and legal.
The contents could be broken down into a few subjects; health and wellbeing, comfort, safety and alternative travel.
Health and Wellbeing could be a day or so of any regular medication, first aid kit, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, A few painkillers and antacids. If a rail route is shutdown, you don't want to be caught out at the station for a few hours or a couple of days like when it snows.
Safety could be a small pry bar or escape tool, some cordage, a simple PPE kit, small multitool, torch, candles and a lighter.
Comfort could include some food items of choice, a bottle of water, glucose tablets, hand warmers, gloves and hat (winter) sunscreen and sunhat (summer), emergency blanket. All are nice and small and cheap enough to get.
Alternative travel would probably consist of a map book, compass, a cache of money and alternative route locator.
A few miscellaneous items could also include a notebook and pencil, a mini FM radio, a folding water bottle with water purifier tablets, waterproof poncho.

Some things may not be needed; you won’t need a hat and gloves if you’re already wearing them. You may want to add or subtract various items to suit your circumstances. In the winter I often pack a flask of hot water, a squeezy tube of Heinz Tomato soup and a couple of those little sachets of hot chocolate.

With a bit of thought a simple kit similar to this could make a difference to making journeys on public transport a little more bearable and should anything happen you have a few bits and bobs.

What I have in my bag:

The burning question is... has my pack been useful, well yes it has, more than once. It’s been a real boon and I never go on long journeys without it.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
25 April 2014, 17:25, (This post was last modified: 25 April 2014, 17:26 by Mortblanc.)
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
All good considerations.

Might I also recommend the use of a money belt under the clothing for carrying extra cash.

Also the use of a carefully reinforced wheelie bag as a general purpose carry-all. They are accepted and common travel gear, navigate the narrow isles of trains and busses, and would draw no more attention than any other cartage.

One can roll more than one can carry. However, I have found that most need better wheels for questionable terrain. Some even come equipped with pack straps.

Remain flexible, there are many choices.

https://www.google.com/search?q=homeless...B300%3B240
25 April 2014, 17:31,
Good post TOF.

I like the use of the sealable sandwich style bags for easy selection of items. Very light weight and useful.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2014, 17:53,
I worked in Washington, DC for 14 years and commuted into the Pentagon or other government offices downtown in the Federal Triangle or out along embassy row using public transportation. I had to pass through multiple security checkpoints, because it was the nature of the work and times. This limited what sorts of items I could carry.

During those years I had to evacuate my office occasionally. Once terrorists took hostages in the building next door. Another time an active shooter killed a police officer guarding our building and we exited the fire escape into an alley where the police were waiting. We put up with multiple bomb threats, incidents of workplace violence, muggings and robberies. Twice I had to get home without using public transportation. This first occurred during the flood of hurricane Agnes, and later the night Flight 90 hit the Memorial bridge. I learned a few things as to what is essential:

1. A FLASHLIGHT! It must be bright enough and burn long enough to last through the night, while finding your way out of a darkened building without windows or a subway tunnel until you get out and far away to a place of safety. You need 12 hours of burn time and not less than 10 lumens. A brighter light is fine, but if it doesn't provide 12 hours continuous duty, you will need to carry spare batteries and practice changing them in the dark. I carry a Fenix EO1 around my neck all the time. Exposed on my ID chain this always got through security checkpoints OK. In my briefcase I kept a Petzl headlamp which used the same AAA batteries, and I also had a set of spare batteries in my briefcase with me.

2. Whistle. On my key ring.

3. Small 3" pry bar, and ferro rod on my key ring, couldn't have a pocket knife, these were OK.

4. Compass, on my watch band.

5. Street and subway system map, in brief case.

6. Personal meds and small first aid kit, in brief case

7. Sturdy walking shoes and extra socks, in brief case

8. Cell phone, in coat pocket, extra charged battery and wall charger in brief case.

9. Small transistor AM/FM broadcast receiver, in briefcase, with earphone.

10. Pint water bottle, in briefcase

11. Snacks, MRE crackers, peanut butter, jerky, etc.

12. Floppy hat and rolled up garbage bag as emergency poncho.

13. Emergency money and Metro transit pass tucked in my ID holder.

14. Hand sanitizer, wet wipes and bandanna (doubles as towel)

15. Toothbrush, dental floss, disposable razor, and small hotel soap in briefcase

Seasonal pocket contents might vary, but this was my EDC and worked for me, and still does with minor changes since I retired to the country.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 April 2014, 18:21,
I'm glad our contents are identical, Charles.Smile

25 April 2014, 19:36,
It really isn't rocket science. Now that I'm retired "outside the moderate damage radius" I have a permit to carry and add a pistol, lock-blade folding knife and multi-tool.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 April 2014, 20:01,
Most excellent appraisal, very informative, so much so I'm snaffling it for my archives Smile the new Urban section Smile.

Thank you Charles.
NR

26 April 2014, 00:22,
Just had a thought TOF.

A spare set of clean walking socks. Nothing more heartening than changing minging socks for a nice fresh pair!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2014, 07:33,
Useful post TOFFO, you may also like to tuck a small aerosol of air fresher into your bag also as it serves two purposes:

1: It can be sprayed in someones face in self defence ... Tesco's Value range is so putrid it will lay someone out quite easily.

2: Use it to cover up bad smells emitted by people polluting the atmosphere around you.
26 April 2014, 08:07,
Good idea BoB! I'll add that to the list, I can't stand nasty little smells.

Socks is a good idea too.

The trolleybags are great, I would probably use one if I was commuting.

I didn't mention footwear. Generally I wear my comfy boots and if needed, I have my posh shoes in the bag.