Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
25 April 2014, 17:53,
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
I worked in Washington, DC for 14 years and commuted into the Pentagon or other government offices downtown in the Federal Triangle or out along embassy row using public transportation. I had to pass through multiple security checkpoints, because it was the nature of the work and times. This limited what sorts of items I could carry.

During those years I had to evacuate my office occasionally. Once terrorists took hostages in the building next door. Another time an active shooter killed a police officer guarding our building and we exited the fire escape into an alley where the police were waiting. We put up with multiple bomb threats, incidents of workplace violence, muggings and robberies. Twice I had to get home without using public transportation. This first occurred during the flood of hurricane Agnes, and later the night Flight 90 hit the Memorial bridge. I learned a few things as to what is essential:

1. A FLASHLIGHT! It must be bright enough and burn long enough to last through the night, while finding your way out of a darkened building without windows or a subway tunnel until you get out and far away to a place of safety. You need 12 hours of burn time and not less than 10 lumens. A brighter light is fine, but if it doesn't provide 12 hours continuous duty, you will need to carry spare batteries and practice changing them in the dark. I carry a Fenix EO1 around my neck all the time. Exposed on my ID chain this always got through security checkpoints OK. In my briefcase I kept a Petzl headlamp which used the same AAA batteries, and I also had a set of spare batteries in my briefcase with me.

2. Whistle. On my key ring.

3. Small 3" pry bar, and ferro rod on my key ring, couldn't have a pocket knife, these were OK.

4. Compass, on my watch band.

5. Street and subway system map, in brief case.

6. Personal meds and small first aid kit, in brief case

7. Sturdy walking shoes and extra socks, in brief case

8. Cell phone, in coat pocket, extra charged battery and wall charger in brief case.

9. Small transistor AM/FM broadcast receiver, in briefcase, with earphone.

10. Pint water bottle, in briefcase

11. Snacks, MRE crackers, peanut butter, jerky, etc.

12. Floppy hat and rolled up garbage bag as emergency poncho.

13. Emergency money and Metro transit pass tucked in my ID holder.

14. Hand sanitizer, wet wipes and bandanna (doubles as towel)

15. Toothbrush, dental floss, disposable razor, and small hotel soap in briefcase

Seasonal pocket contents might vary, but this was my EDC and worked for me, and still does with minor changes since I retired to the country.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA

Messages In This Thread
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB. - by TOF - 25 April 2014, 17:05
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB. - by CharlesHarris - 25 April 2014, 17:53