Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
26 April 2014, 20:43,
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
This is an interesting thread. I travel far from home on public transport a lot, so it is very relevant for me.

To my mind, one of the challenges is to be able to carry on with business as usual (i.e. fulfil the purpose of the trip), while being prepared for something to develop unexpectedly and very rapidly, and to meet both these needs within the limits of weight, size and appearance, as already stated.

I think you can extend the idea of multi-purposing outside the bag, to other things you carry / wear. Examples:

1. On most of my trips I'm expected to wear dress shoes and "smart casual" business wear. But I'm always conscious that I may end up having to walk a long way, on rough ground and maybe in the wet or slush. My answer is to wear a pair of country brogues. They're smart enough for business wear, but substantial, and with a good enough tread, to allow me to cover some distance in reasonable comfort.

2. I need mobile computing when I'm away, so I choose to carry an iPad instead of a laptop. As well as my business software, this is loaded with OS maps for the whole UK, is GPS-enabled, has an electronic compass and a 10-hour battery life. It's also small and light, leaving more room for other stuff. PDFs of street maps and local transport timetables go on this too, so I don't have to rely on getting online if I need to re-route or change plans.

3. I always carry a lightweight waterproof (or a more substantial one outside the summer). This is a Paramo jacket, smart enough for walking around the city, but waterproof and ultra-breathable, so I can wear it without getting hot and sweaty on public transport.

For me, lightweight is critical. Whenever I plan a public transport based trip, I always assume I'll be using buses or walking for the local legs of the journey. This has a direct effect on what I plan to take, with the fringe benefit that I never have with me more than I can comfortably carry some considerable distance. (If I need to transport bigger, heavier items - e.g, in my case - training materials - I courier them to the destination ahead).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB. - by TOF - 25 April 2014, 17:05
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB. - by Tarrel - 26 April 2014, 20:43