Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Wonder of Bees.
26 April 2014, 09:02,
The Wonder of Bees.
Something I am looking into is Beekeeping. This BBC series is an interesting watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01...-episode-1

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
26 April 2014, 15:03,
RE: The Wonder of Bees.
Good catch TOF

We are looking at setting up a few hives too. Alas not this year though as there's still a lot to do involving a considerable amount of banging and crashing about.

A good friend was intrigued at my interest in bees and has beaten me to the punch. His hives are already set up and he's expecting to collect swarms at the end of next month.... I'm going to be pain-in-the-ass assistant to him this year weather he likes it or not...

SD's also got the jump on us. I think he got his hives started last year. How's things progressing at castle Dhud?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 April 2014, 16:57,
Doing fine here. I've been sitting by the chicken coops and watching the bees returning with full loads of pollen. It looks very busy by the hive and I'm careful when I am there but the bees just ignore me. They even ignore the chickens and cat all of which are usually found around the hive.

I'm going to try and split another hive off later in the year. Create a brand new colony. Two is better than one.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 April 2014, 17:25,
Sent my only two PDFs on Bee Keeping, One Brit one Merkin direct to you LS.

26 April 2014, 17:36,
My plans are also for next year LS, I had hoped I could get started this year, but funds are not available. I have a good friend with 5 hives I'm off for a beekeeping lesson next week. I will live beekeeping vicariously through her Apiary until I have my own.
I look forward to hearing about your experiences with your Bees SD and especially how you get on with splitting the Hive. I would also like to know how much Honey you crop this year.

26 April 2014, 17:45, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 17:47 by Straight Shooter.)
Something I have thought about for a while TOF .....but looks like next year for me...to many other things to do first and getting the funds for those, but I would be most interested in how you....and others.....get on ....and pass on your knowledge to all members, I know there are lots of info on the net but always better coming from one of us ....warts n all

PS . I am watching that tv show also !
26 April 2014, 18:07,
I have found a company that sells top bar hive kits pretty cheap. I would make one, but my carpentry skills are pretty poor. Sad

26 April 2014, 19:41,
Bee pollen is super high protein! Let alone the millions of uses of pure honey!

It's something we've thought about, but not something we're capable of doing...yet.

Definitely on the agenda.

Great find TOF
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2014, 20:07,
I'm in the process of changing from top bar hives to warre' hives as I have gone over to a method of managing the bees that leaves them alone as much as possible. Also the Warre's take less room up in my back garden, I've an empty Kenyan top bar hive sat in my front garden here in North Lincs if anyone is interested and lives close enough.
26 April 2014, 20:16, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 20:27 by TOF.)
Have found the link for the Top Bar Hive Kit. It's a complete kit, for £64.93.

http://www.thorne.co.uk/hives-and-bees/h...ct_id=2001

and here's an instructable on a no nail Top Bar Beehive. wish I had the tools and knowledge to build a couple of these.Smile

http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Day-...ry-Cheap-/

(26 April 2014, 20:07)T-oddity Wrote: I'm in the process of changing from top bar hives to warre' hives as I have gone over to a method of managing the bees that leaves them alone as much as possible. Also the Warre's take less room up in my back garden, I've an empty Kenyan top bar hive sat in my front garden here in North Lincs if anyone is interested and lives close enough.

Would I! Might have to have a word with my Bee pal. She might collect it for me.