Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOB Tacticool or Stealth
27 April 2014, 10:21,
BOB Tacticool or Stealth
I will always make sure my EDC/GHB is stealthy so as not to draw unwanted attention in an urban setting but post SHTF does your BOB need to be stealthy or can you go full on tactical/molle for practical and maybe added intimidation ?

If I'm trying to bug out of my urban location with missus and child in tow do I want to look like any other scared family (and therefore potential victim) or do I stride out in full tactical mode with machete/axe/rifle proudly on display? I'll want to do everything possible to avoid the mob but should I come across them is stealth or in your face don't feck with me the way to go?
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
27 April 2014, 10:53,
RE: BOB Tacticool or Stealth
I would think that if you are in full tactical mode with machete/axe/rifle proudly on display and end up facing a mob, then that is only going to draw their attention to you!

We've all seen the news where during riot situations, a lone or small group of police officers are specifically targeted by angry mobs.

Your weapons will do little to protect you, unless your whole family is kitted out with assault rifles and have the tactical training to go with it.

It probably wouldn't be difficult for the mob to grab your wife or one of your children and use them as a human shield???

Best to keep a low profile and out of sight as far as possible.
27 April 2014, 11:20,
During the 2011 London riots the Turkish takeaway community was spared as they stood outside their establishments with very big knives. People aren't stupid and move on to an easier target. I don't want my family to be that easy target. As I said, I'm not looking for trouble but want people to be aware of my capability if not my intent. The UK population isn't familiar with firearms and there is documented evidence that if you point a weapon in someone's face, they can't even remember what you look like, they only concentrate on the gun
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
27 April 2014, 11:25,
if your bugging out, you want to get out of the area with the least possible notice being taken of you in the least possible time, your trying to be a "grey man" not stand out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 April 2014, 11:38,
Yes but being "Tactical" and being a Turkish takeaway owner are different. Also from what I understood, the takeaway owners were out in force supporting each other, not just a lone person or two (?) with a big knife.

Mobs in particular will target those who they perceive to be in authority, and if you are tactically clad, that means you!

Also don't under estimate how many 'illegal' guns are out there, particularly in the hands of gang members, who in turn are likely to be the ones at the centre of any mobs roaming the street, so to turn it around, how would you and your family feel if you were armed, and then someone in the mob also pulled a weapon out and pointed it at you or your family? Which one of you would have the least fear (or remorse) of pulling the trigger??

For me, its best to keep a low profile, out of sight and get away from the danger ASAP.
27 April 2014, 11:40,
Two good opinions here, if you have the numbers and strength then a show of force could be the right approach, but if your few in number or on your own against the city then Grey Man is probably the wisest route ???

27 April 2014, 12:02,
A lot of cool looking kit and weapons on display is just asking to be mobbed and mugged,people who haven't prepared will be just getting there reality check and see you and your kit as an answer to the problems they failed to address in time....i'd say discrete...camo for concealment only and tactical kit worn overtly when the streets have cleared at a slightly later stage when you need to be out and about with your personal kit ready to hand.....i've got a selection of oversize jackets that i can wear a limited amount of belt order under....to everyone else i just look like a tubby bugger.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 April 2014, 12:25,
+1 there. Although I have gone about it slightly differently. My Bag is oversized and when all the kit is in it, looks practically empty and as it's just a tatty looking old backpack, pretty uninteresting I think.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
27 April 2014, 15:04,
Lively debate, that's why I'm here. Grey man it is then. I already have several suitable day sacs so could save some dosh towards something else. Radio/comms looks like the next big chunk.
27 April 2014, 15:26,
Just re read the original post....unless its a crash bug out(under attack/on fire) i would be inclined to go undercover of darkness whilst the environs would be quiet and deserted(hopefully)so tactical gear and the carrying openly of weapons would be ok...planned bug out for me involves a 3 hours before dawn departure picking our way slowly and deliberately through the suburbs using the terrain as best we can with the intention of being in open country before dawn , approx 1 mile distance and a motorway(minor) to cross....all the group will be in camo(been buying up job lots of cheap dpm)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!