Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle
28 April 2014, 21:15,
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle
Definitely agree DEV. For the shelter WHILE travelling, a car would be brilliant. So good in fact, that it's the reason people use them now for transport.

For me, I would opt for number 1. But I'm a bushcraft guy. If you have not practiced the skills, doing it wrong is a great way to get yourself killed. It takes a lot of practice and experience to get it right. So start learning ASAP, if you don't already know how to do this kind of thing, and you think it may come in handy. If I had a family to take care of, I'd apply the debris shelter style to a tarp or 2. Smaller than a car, easier to manage, and easier to conceal.

I did consider the idea of using masses of debris over the car, but I think the amount of dead space, e.g. the boot, the front third or the car, from the steering wheel forwards basically, would be a hell of an effort to insulate. Plus the amount of time required and the debris quantities needed to block the heat from travelling through the bodywork, too time consuming for my liking.

I'd personally cancel out the 'stay in vehicle' option. There are stories of babies and the alike suffocating in a warm car when no windows are left open, same as dogs. So imagine a whole family in there. You'd have to leave a window open, at the least. But the glass will be a poor insulator, you've got one window open, and like the glass being a poor insulator as would the rest of the vehicle's body.

Something like a Modified VW Transporter, that would be a much more viable option, as you suggest in number 4. Down this area so many people have them all kitted out. We have a friend in a kitted out Transit van. At one of the meets, we passed by a modified old FedEx style van too. It even had a little log burner in it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Scythe13 - 28 April 2014, 20:03
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Devonian - 28 April 2014, 20:35
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Scythe13 - 28 April 2014, 21:15
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Devonian - 28 April 2014, 21:33
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Mortblanc - 28 April 2014, 21:51
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by SlyUrbanFox - 28 April 2014, 22:16
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by CharlesHarris - 29 April 2014, 02:21
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by BeardyMan - 29 April 2014, 09:40
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Mortblanc - 29 April 2014, 12:13