Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we Re-Build Civilisation after Collapse.
29 April 2014, 16:49,
RE: Can we Re-Build Civilisation after Collapse.
I would tend to agree in the most part. However, human ingenuity (and my bad spelling) is never to be underestimated.

Without question we would be able to get to where we are today, and further! We are people and if we have managed to do it once, we SHOULD, in theory, be able to get back to where we are now, and develop those kinds of technologies even further. Think about the Mayan calendar. Their civilisation was lost and gone, but we have equally accurate calendars now. The same with the Inca and Babylonians. The majority of their technology is back in circulation, and it has been surpassed.

Granted, I wouldn't have any idea of how to build a camera, let alone build one into a phone. But the basic principles of ingenuity and team work still apply. I do not know how to extract pencil lead material from the planet earth. But I can create charcoal and thus have a substitute. I can create electricity from bits of metal and lemon juice.

The thing is, so much raw material has already been created for us. We have sooo much ink, batteries, and the alike. It would be possible to reverse engineer a lot of the stuff we already have. Magnifying glasses and the alike will still be available.

I know I can make glass. I have experimented with sand and a mini furnace. I have even played around with recycling glass...which there will be plenty of.

Wires...plenty available.

Solar panels, computer units, and things like that, will still be available. The individual components will be around too.

No doubt it will take a while for us to get back to the level where we are today. However, it will happen. I believe, it will happen much faster than most people expect. For example. I know I could create a water wheel and produce electricity. Could I do it from scratch, I.E. mine the raw ore, etc? Hell no! But I could recycle the components already available to me. The thing is, I'm not even that smart.

In a scenario, using the examples I've already mentioned:
Already I have created a glass house to grow plants, maybe even one to live in. I have a constant supply of renewable electricity. It's simple enough to create an electric motor (a load of magnets, even more electrical wire, and a couple of ball bearing brackets). Job's a gooden.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we Re-Build Civilisation after Collapse. - by Scythe13 - 29 April 2014, 16:49