Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Satellite Question
1 May 2014, 11:18,
GPS Satellite Question
We are all expecting certain networks to be down, e.g. power, phone lines, mobile phones, water and the alike.

Interestingly, satellites will probably not be effected by any goings on down here. So, in theory, with the satellites beig solar powered, they'll still be operational, right? I need feedback on this, as I do confess ignorance.

So, for satellite navigation, there should still be a fully functioning system, right?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 May 2014, 11:26,
RE: GPS Satellite Question
I might be wrong but I believe the satellites that control the planet wide GPS system are military and so might be on separate power systems enabling them to function after the civilian grid is down. Loss of GPS is unthinkable for modern warfare and travel so I reckon they would make every effort and sacrifice to keep it working. The satellites are powered by solar but rely on electrical systems to communicate, and atomic clocks to regulate and syncronise.
1 May 2014, 11:28,
I don't trust anything I cant control myself...especially in a power down situation.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 May 2014, 12:28,
GPS Satellites together with Russian/Chinese equivalents will all be risky
in case the other side decides to use laser satellites to shoot em down or disable.

Compass/OS Maps //
1 May 2014, 13:03,
They would continue after events down here, EMP excluded of course, but the chances are the US Military would restrict access to military and selected others use.

Then of course depending on the event they may become target for military action.

I have a couple of GPS based systems where I am guessing that they will last for several days, enough to aid in a Bug Out if required.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 May 2014, 13:08,
(1 May 2014, 13:03)Skean Dhude Wrote: They would continue after events down here, EMP excluded of course, but the chances are the US Military would restrict access to military and selected others use.

Then of course depending on the event they may become target for military action.

Interesting thought here in the head of S13.

Let's say that a month after the event, and there's no clear response by the military, I.E. they have not restricted satellite access. If you were to turn on one of your satellite GPS units, would it still function?
1 May 2014, 14:00,
I don't think they can restrict access to the sats

my understanding is they are either on or off.

your satnav doesn't talk to the sattelites, its basically a complicated signal strength meter, calculating coords by signal strength and either displaying data as coords, or displaying a point on a map.

Its a receiver only.

unless the US gov have a way to "switch channels" so only thier gear works, i think all GPS will work after an event, unless as SD says, its a major EMP event.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
1 May 2014, 14:24,
Military and Civilian GPS receivers work on different frequencies, so yes in theory the US could easily turn off the civilian system and keeping military systems working.

I also understand that the Military systems have pin point accuracy, whereas civilian systems are +/- 5 (or 10)m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
1 May 2014, 14:58,
(1 May 2014, 14:24)Devonian Wrote: I also understand that the Military systems have pin point accuracy, whereas civilian systems are +/- 5 (or 10)m

Is that M as in meters or miles?
1 May 2014, 15:03,
Think about the question. It is not much good for Sat Nav if it is miles. It is Metres and it is adjustable. They can reduce accuracy when there is tension to reduce the chances of it being used against them and simply shut it off if they want to.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin