Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
medieval artillery.
4 May 2014, 10:38,
medieval artillery.
So youve made it through the initial event and are in a location you want to stay in. You've fortified it, but would it be worth adding something bigger for defence. Ive been wondering if a catapult, trebuchet, giant slingshot firing molotovs etc would be worth building. I can see 2 main arguments which are, if its acurate and powerful enough it could end a lot of threats from a safe distance, but if you have a massive catapult in your garden, it could make you a target as it shows youve got something to protect. What does everyone think?
4 May 2014, 10:44,
RE: medieval artillery.
would need a largish area to site it in, there only good for long distances not for when the enemy gets closer and are so large they can be spotted from well away, like you say would probably give the game away.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2014, 11:21,
I imagine a meter high catapult / slingshot would be easier to make and move about than a trebuchet. You could set it up in your front window and lob stuff at anyone coming up the road!
4 May 2014, 11:30,
These sorts of weapons are only really any use against a mob, not small groups/individuals as the accuracy will be so poor.

You'd probably end up hitting a neighbours house rather than repelling any undesirables.

Also with the reloading time, by the time you get your first shot off, your attackers would be on you.

I think a bow or crossbow would be far more effective and stealthy.
4 May 2014, 11:35,
(4 May 2014, 11:30)Devonian Wrote: I think a bow or crossbow would be far more effective and stealthy.
that has always been my opinion!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2014, 11:54,
I agree with bows and crossbows, and was thinking more for use against a crowd/mob. I agree a full size trebuchet or something would take up a lot of room so probably not usefull unless youve got a lot of space, but what about some kind of oversized slingshot? Wouldnt take up much room but it depends how accurate it would be, if it is only acurate to the range of a crossbow then theres not much point.
4 May 2014, 12:05,
Assuming you have the space, the issues I see are:

1. Accuracy
2. Reloading time (ie: a slow process)
3. 'How many people' would it take to reload/then operate the slingshot? Just think if each of them had a bow, and could shoot say 6 -10 arrows each in the time it takes to fire your slingshot, then you could do some serious damage to a mob!!
4 May 2014, 12:44,
I agree Dev, i was thinking more of using it before they got into range of bows and crossbows, then switching as they get closer, that way you could do damage before they get close enough to do damage back.
4 May 2014, 12:52,
the English archers at Agincourt were the artillery of their day, and look how many arrows they could get off, as John Wayne once said: "windage and elevation, windage and elevation ".
4 May 2014, 13:08, (This post was last modified: 4 May 2014, 13:11 by Devonian.)
(4 May 2014, 12:44)Danzord Wrote: I agree Dev, i was thinking more of using it before they got into range of bows and crossbows, then switching as they get closer, that way you could do damage before they get close enough to do damage back.

I see where you are coming from, but you would need a pretty special (giant) slingshot to outdo/outrange the bow.

http://outsidemom.com/2012/05/giant-slin...eal-world/