Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven Help Us
7 May 2014, 20:15,
Heaven Help Us
Do you think there will be room for religion in a post-SHTF community?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 May 2014, 20:25,
RE: Heaven Help Us
I think, during a collapse, MANY people will turn to religion, in one form or another, and will use it to explain their situation. For example, it will be seen as a punishment for gluttony, or something like that. If it's a disease that does the damage, it'll be referred to as a plague sent by God to punish us all.

However, in regards to a community, I'm not sure.

I'd hope that everyone would be tolerant enough and mature enough, to allow everyone to just get along. Whatever their religion, a good person is still a good person, and a team player is still a team player. Just because someone had a different religious belief, you'd have to be a real [inset expletive] to not work with them and get along with them, for mutual benefit.

Personally I'm a Christian, and I have MANY Muslim friends, a few Hindu friends, a couple of Taoists, a few Wicken, and many atheists. We're all people, we all get along, and we often like to debate the perspectives and variances. We all accept each other's belief's though. Why wouldn't we?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 May 2014, 20:29,
Why would one's spiritual situation change based on SHTF?

There will be three basic conditions to observe;

Those that have no belief

Those that blame God for the situation

Those praying to God to get them past the situation.

Ceremony and ritual may change, or be skipped due to time constraints or availability, but the core beliefs of those the have them will remain.

OR, as may be the most likely occurrence in GB, there is a system imposed upon the population. Not everyone on this big old world believes you have the right to choose. You can unroll the prayer mat or have your head roll across the floor.

8 May 2014, 06:49,
the stories in the bible were created to give people a glimmer of hope in their darkest hour.

but they are only stories.

Personally, speaking as a practicing atheist, i won't be looking to an imaginary man who lives in the clouds for inspiration.

I dunno about other religions, but the only good thing to come out of the bible was easter eggs!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 May 2014, 11:45,
I hope not! I live in hope that humanity might wake up one day and abandon their manufactured "sky Gods", realising that religion is the most pernicious form of mental slavery.
Cogito ergo sum
8 May 2014, 12:47,
In my view the worse living is the more emphasis on a better life after. Therefore now we are living well we are losing religion. Live in a hellhole and you are religious. Simple facts.

If things collapse our societies will all be turning to religion regardless of those who try to stop it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 May 2014, 13:56,
I do hope not, I gave up on all that superstitious mumbo jumbo when I left home.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 May 2014, 21:37,
Yes .......plenty of room mary!
9 May 2014, 20:21,
If I may steer the debate in a different direction and posit the question, "Would a persons religion have any bearing on your decision to interact/let them into your group?"
Personally I know people of all the major faiths and wouldn't have a problem with any of them. Mormons will of course burn in hellfireBig Grin
9 May 2014, 21:01,
That's a very good question Tartar.If I'm being brutally honest with myself then I have to say yes.I'm in no way a religious person but I would be very hesitant in allowing one particular religion into my group.I'm not prejudiced against colour or creed (for the most part),but one mention of Allah would quickly receive a swift boot up the arse from me.
Apologies if I have offended anyone but that is my personal view.