Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Quarry do you Hunt?
9 May 2014, 13:24,
What Quarry do you Hunt?
For those of us into hunting.

What kind of quarry do you go for, at the moment?

Personally, I have done a lot of R&R (Rats and Rabbits), but am getting more into feathered quarry at the moment. Not that I'm purposefully hunting them. The landowners have an issue and have requested I help with pest control.

Please note, I do assume that we all act within the General License and the rest of the legal hunting elements.

At the moment, with the increased issues with certain feathered animals, it's a very different style of hunting that's required! I'll write up about R&R sometime and about the difference with going for birds.

But for now, what quarry do you usually hunt?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 May 2014, 13:27,
RE: What Quarry do you Hunt?
The dogs love a bit of wood pigeon that's our target at moment
9 May 2014, 13:34,
still stuck trying to get any permission.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 May 2014, 13:49,
(9 May 2014, 13:27)Shaysdad99 Wrote: The dogs love a bit of wood pigeon that's our target at moment

Really? What dogs do you have?
9 May 2014, 13:58,
3 German shepherds at moment aged 9 month , 4 years and 8 years , they will come out on hunt and down stay and be quiet as a mouse and not react to other wildlife
9 May 2014, 14:00,
(9 May 2014, 13:58)Shaysdad99 Wrote: 3 German shepherds at moment aged 9 month , 4 years and 8 years , they will come out on hunt and down stay and be quiet as a mouse and not react to other wildlife

That's cool.

I'm assuming you're going to shotgun the birds and the Germies are going to be fetching?
9 May 2014, 14:05,
Air rifle only can't get firearms certificate unfortunately , older ones will collect still teaching younger one , May add these are rescue dogs and use to domestic living so have adapted really well
9 May 2014, 17:49,
That's good SD99.

When do you think they'll all be ready?

My neighbour had nearly 100 rabbit pelts on a drying rack in her garden, all eaten by 1 of her 3 GS's. Poor thing looked pregnant haha.
9 May 2014, 18:40, (This post was last modified: 9 May 2014, 18:47 by Mortblanc.)
At the moment I am one of the last professional mammoth hunters in North America.

Problem is that they pay me on the bounty system and things are getting tight financially.

I shoot them with my air rifle and it does fine as long as I place my shots precisely. If not I follow the blood trail until they drop.

I am still looking for a dog that will retrieve them.

I hunt Griz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4
9 May 2014, 18:50,
Every dog is different just as long as it takes quite surprised as even though the younger one is a rescue he is full working lines imported from checz where as the other 2 are just normal gsd but have learnt a lot quicker , believe it or not our only failure is bee's they cause all 3 dogs to run around like lunatics !