Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneak of the week
9 May 2014, 21:26,
Sneak of the week
If you want to fish clandestinely, without having the problem of having to hide a rod, and carry the reel etc, this is a great little tool that enables you to fish unnoticed. This isn't about sport, this about getting a feed. holding the line in your fingers gives you a better feel for a bite than a rod can give you, you could even go "Huck Finn" and tie it round your toe while catching a few rays. A rod is very noticeable and very hard to hide whilst fishing, this is very stealthy. The line 12lb is far too heavy for freshwater, I would put 5lb on it and use a lighter hook length in the 3lb range. Getting food in a SHTF situation is not sport it's survival. If you have access to water resources you should really consider getting a few Fish traps. You can get these in sizes small enough to hide in a rucksack. They will work for you 24/7 and if you move them regularly enough they can provide a feed on regular basis. Those of you who live in areas where the American Signal Crayfish live can get a superb feed that can stand heavy trapping as they are so prolific.
9 May 2014, 22:05,
RE: Sneak of the week
I remember trying to snap some fishing line with my bare hands as a kid and it just cut deep into me.

What's to stop that kind of thing happening again if you tied it to your finger and got a bite?

Whenever I've seen the toe fishing thing I've always wondered the same thing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 May 2014, 22:44,
when I was a kid we used a stout stick tied to the line ,you can still cast the line and fill when you get a bite
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
10 May 2014, 01:32,
12 pound line is NOT too heavy for freshwater. I have had 1-2 pound trout break 6 pound line with little effort. That is especially true when you are not using a pole that has some spring to take up the shock.

Back when I was a kid we kept a bamboo pole hidden down by the creek, usually in the branches of a tree, but that was just so we did not have to carry it around. Now I just keep a small box of tackle in each vehicle and a cheap rod and reel. There are some really nice collapsible and miniature R&R sets available for use by packers in the back country. Some would drop into a big coat pocket. The Ronco Pocket Fisherman comes to mind.

I live about 500 meters from a good sized lake and I have tackle here at the house that I would not hesitate to use "post event". I do have two boats I fish from, a 16 footer w/50hp motor, a 12' John boat w/15hp and an electric motor for sneaking up on the big ones.

Not exactly clandestine but am not worried about that and do no intend too.
10 May 2014, 10:15,
12lb line might not be too heavy in the US Mort, but I can tell you for a fact that it is too heavy for our freshwater fish, no freshwater fisherman in the UK would consider using 12lb line for Roach, Perch, or Bream, such line is used for Pike etc. 12lb line would be considered too heavy for our freshwater species. Scythe the line will cut you if not respected, but it's just a matter of "watching" yourself and being careful.
10 May 2014, 11:15,
(10 May 2014, 10:15)Tartar Horde Wrote: Scythe the line will cut you if not respected, but it's just a matter of "watching" yourself and being careful.

What about the tie it to your toe then fall asleep, thing?
10 May 2014, 11:24,
Isn't there a "hobo" fishing method involving using a coke bottle as a reel, with the line and hooks stowed inside
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
10 May 2014, 11:24,
Ya daft bugger I didn't mean fall asleepBig Grin you don't tie it to your toe you put it around your toe.
10 May 2014, 11:33,
(10 May 2014, 11:24)Tartar Horde Wrote: Ya daft bugger I didn't mean fall asleepBig Grin you don't tie it to your toe you put it around your toe.

Oh! Haha, that makes sense now.
12 May 2014, 00:01,
Just about every imaginable fishing item is available if you look around a bit

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword...86xchome_b