MERS - Now widespread Human to Human Transmission
9 May 2014, 22:05,
MERS - Now widespread Human to Human Transmission
This directly from the labs

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/050814...a_H2H.html

Widespread Human MERS Transmission In Saudi Arabia
Recombinomics Commentary 19:30
May 8, 2014
The release of the three MERS sequences from recent cases in Jeddah and Mecca match the three earlier sequences from Jeddah.

All six human sequences have eight markers not present in any prior human sequence. Two of the eight have not been reported in any other MERS sequences, including recently released camel sequences from Taif.

The six human sequences are from four hospitals in two cities (Jeddah and Mecca) indicating MERS is now transmitting human to human in western Saudi Arabia.

The clonal expansion is similar to the clonal expansion of SARS in 2003, when virtually all human cases after the spread at the Metrolpole Hotel had the same marker (a 29 nt deletion not found in any prior sequence, including civets).

The match between the six humans sequences indicates human to human MERS transmission is widespread in western Saudi Arabia, which raises serious pandemic concerns.

-------

Hmmmmm How many UK citizens going to Mecca for Haj?
10 May 2014, 08:38,
RE: MERS - Now widespread Human to Human Transmission
It's this sort of thing that scares the poop out of me. I've been keeping a weather eye on it and the US had it's first case this month. Although it seems to still have difficulty transmitting person to person, if it gets into a larger population, and therefore a bigger target it has the potential to mutate at a much faster rate than at present, where it is mainly contained within Mecca and Jeddah
As you mentioned RS, returning Haj disciples could be the catalyst for it to move out of the Middle East.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
10 May 2014, 17:35,
The single identified and admitted case here in the U.S. is a couple hundred miles cross country from me. The man was a returning "aid worker", one of those terms that has no real definition but sounds very humanitarian.

He was mentioned, and then forgotten by the media, early last week.
12 May 2014, 20:01,
MERS has been spreading across Arabia for the past two years. There were two cases here in the UK last year, both treated at Guys in London.
Both case contracted in the Middle East. Camels are now thought to be spreading the virus also.
12 May 2014, 23:06,
Second case in the U.S. identified in the past two weeks.

Another "aid worker" just back from Arabia.

Not really a concern yet, we have 24-36 plague deaths every year and it never makes the news.
14 May 2014, 22:06,
Here's another one for you.

The health care workers exposed to the original patients are coming down with MERS confirming human to human spread and disproving the camel to human claims.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-reports-third-c...26835.html

And this particular patient went through London, then to New York, two more major US cities and then Orlando, Florida, spreading this disease with every stop and exposing every person in each of the planes in which he traveled. Hundreds of airplane confined people breathing his recycled air!

Orlando is the site of Disney World and the city is visited by people from all over the eastern US and has many foreign visitors.
18 May 2014, 04:35,
Mort, I've learned over time to appreciate your sense of humour but I'm not entirely sure how to take your last post on this.

MERS has been something I've been aware of , as have many of us but not too bothered by - now I'm wondering why I haven't stored more N95 masks...

18 May 2014, 17:49, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2014, 17:55 by Mortblanc.)
Not trying to be humorous in the least, just tracing verified reports from over here and wondering how this bug might have skipped infecting the UK while passing straight through the area.

or are they simply not telling you of the reported cases?

We now have another case that has been traced to one of our original victims from "casual contact". That contact being sitting in the same room during a business meeting.

It makes me wonder if the person sitting next to these carriers on the airplanes have been notified that they need testing?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/17/health/mers-case-u-s-/
19 May 2014, 06:06,
The Hong Kong Department of Health has updates whenever new cases of MERS, bird flu and various other potential epidemics are confirmed anywhere in the world. I can understand why they update regarding stuff happening in mainland China (seeing as daily traffic there and back is huge), but not too sure about the other areas.

This was actually my go-to site for bird flu a few months back when my province had the highest amount of cases and the local health department decided to stop reporting on them!

http://www.dh.gov.hk/english/press/press.html
21 May 2014, 18:20,
Mort, does this mean that if I'm flying somewhere, I shouldn't sit next to a camel on the plane, or just not shake hands with him?
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!