Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding Water - Dowsing
26 May 2014, 07:28,
RE: Finding Water - Dowsing
Though a well is really desirable and here's hoping for you that you find one, you really need to get the water tested especially for some areas in the UK as you don't know what chemicals might be present, here in North Lincolnshire which is predominantly arable farm land the ground water and waterways are saturated with nitrates though not dangerous in the short term not something you would want to consume long term, though I know the location of most if not all of the local springs I intend to rely initially on rain water harvesting and using ground water as a last resort. The sad fact is even if modern farming practices were to cease today the contamination would still exist for years to come.
26 May 2014, 10:12,
Well's will normally be found on the lowest levels, so if you have a sloping garden, then don't waste time hunting around the top of the garden go straight to the low point.

Also its not uncommon especially in towns for house to have wells in their basements.

Also have a look at http://www.old-maps.co.uk enter your postcode and look at the maps of largest scale available, around the 1950's is usually best for these sorts of details - they will often show known wells.
28 February 2015, 11:11, (This post was last modified: 28 February 2015, 11:19 by MaryN.)
I've been continuing the hunt to find a supply of fresh water at this property, and q

Sorry, finger trouble........and quite by chance I discovered how this was achieved. I had the opportunity to chat to a former owner a few weeks ago, and asked him what they did for fresh water. He told me that there is a very large cistern under the property - actually under an inside room - and that so far as he was aware it is still there. I barely restrained a hop and skip, and he told me that water was collected from the roof and pumped up into the kitchen area. The cistern is apparently as deep as a tall man and provided all the water for the house. As he told me things fell into place; I had been puzzled by what appeared to be a closed-off drain, and I now realise that it the input into the cistern. Well, joy and alleluia! Thinking carefully, this would be a very good way to provide fresh water. Here on the Fens the water table is very high and this could be a cause of pollution. It would be o.k. for livestock, but not, perhaps, humans.

The only problem I now have is to try and get a look at this cistern. I have tried jumping up and down above where it is supposed to be, and it does sound a bit boomy. I have to be a bit careful in case OH thinks I have gone completely insane, but this has possibilities.

Has anyone else heard of this method of water collection? The property is quite old so I'm guessing the cistern is pre-mains water. Anyway, I'm excited!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
28 February 2015, 13:51,
cisterns was a Roman thing I believe....maybe you could get into the cistern by drilling a small hole in the supplying downpipe and inserting a fibre optic(rented) for a look
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 February 2015, 15:08,
Yep as Mo say's time to start lifting floor boards or drilling inspection holes and sticking a camera through to see what's below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/flexible-snake...mera-n41gw

If you find it, you will want to be able to expose it and I guess it will probably need repair work and possibly to be relined to make it watertight, thus keeping out any polluted groundwater, was well as keeping your water inside...
28 February 2015, 19:54,
If you start pulling up carpets or new floor coverings in the designated room you will find some kind of access door. All cisterns have access for checking water levels and doing repair work. I have never seen one that could not be accessed for checking water level.

Mine has a locking man hole cover.

There should also be an overflow outlet for excess runoff. Now that you know what you are looking for they should be obvious if they have not been pulled out or covered by new construction.