Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AK Review???
26 May 2014, 21:06,
AK Review???
How much interest before I post?

With over 100 million units produced (no one knows exactly how many) there are enough AK pattern weapons floating about to equip every man woman an child over 12 in Great Britain, Canada and Australia with an AK pattern weapon.

Only Allah knows how many are buried under the basements of mosques all over GB and Europe!

In a TU world it is almost certain that eventually everyone will cross paths with one of these weapons.

Would the board like to have a safety review of this weapon, in case one is ever encountered???

We would not want one to fall off a rock and injure someone with an accidental discharge!
26 May 2014, 21:15,
RE: AK Review???
The AK is so ubitquitious, everyone should have at least a basic familiarity of its operation. In most of the Third World, it is the most common firearm you are likely to come across. While it might not me my first choice in a perfect world, I would be delighted to find one if the alternative was to be unarmed.

I would say damn the torpedoes and all ahead flank.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 May 2014, 23:34,
Would be good to get a how-to-use style review.

The issue is, in the UK, they're near impossible to get hold of.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 May 2014, 11:14,
Certainly would Mort, be a very useful post. Are we talking AK47, or AK74?
I keep thinking of the old Johnny Cash song.
"I got it one piece at at time, and it didn't cost me a dime"
27 May 2014, 13:55,
probably be a few coming back from Afghanistan and Syria but getting hold of one in the UK wont be easy unless one knows a few moslems!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 May 2014, 19:55,
"I got it one piece at at time, and it didn't cost me a dime"

Might be hard for some in the UK to believe, but we buy the parts one at a time and make the receivers ourselves using only simple hand tools in home workshops. An individual with experience can build a receiver from scratch and assemble one from a sack of parts in less than a day.

I will guarantee that there are people in the UK that have turned out "Khyber Pass clones" while sitting in their living rooms watching BBC. They have them, they are just smart enough to keep their mouths shut and their guns buried. That concept has kept their families alive for the past 1000 years.

It would be a true pity if one were able to overwhelm a bad guy, take his weapon, then have no idea how to use it! Or find one and a stash of ammo after plague had done its work and have no concept of how to load and operate the prize.

For all practical purposes the AK47/AKM and AK74 are the same gun in two different calibers. Changes were minor and made to insure functioning with the lighter gas impulse of the 5.45mm cartridge. Breakdown, cleaning, maintenance and operation remain the same.

I will get busy and do some pictures.
27 May 2014, 23:15,
I know you do Mort, the parts can be had individually enabling you to make an AK very easily with a bit of knowledge stateside. I have visited India many times and am aware of the ridiculous prices you can buy an AK for. In the border towns there is a thriving gun trade, where the craftsmen with very limited tools can produce nearly every firearm you could imagine. I have no doubt some of our JIHADI loving Muslims will have access to a wide range of weapons, it's just a matter of getting them through. and when they do it "One piece at at time" it makes it even easier. Those "British" muslims fighting in Syria will have the know how and training to use these weapons against the English population if and when they decide to convert us by force to the "religion of peace", it behooves us all to have the knowledge to at least operate this most popular of battle Rifles.
I have had a few conversations with Indian military personnel and while the consensus regarding the AK is that it is good for laying down a lot of fire, "spray and pray", they mostly prefer the FAL as they see this rifle as more refined and suitable for a "rifleman". Having shot neither I am not educated enough to make a comparison so will leave it to folks with more experience to tell me if this is BS or not.
28 May 2014, 01:25,
tis a very simple weapon of mainly pressed parts...this is the secret of its success amongst the worlds illiterate rabble , made with some very generous tolerances allowing it to work full of sand/mud at well below zero and even in water...requires little maintenance and has been known to operate for extended periods without any lubrication at all....fires an intermediate cartridge(ak47) at approx. 2350 fps with an effective range of 300metres ... would be a great asset to anybody fortunate enough to aquire one after an event......a precision tack driver it is not though.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 May 2014, 03:14,
The AK is simple to operate and is easy to instruct illiterate, conscript troops to use, and it will continue to work with no or minimal care. While reliable, it is not a precision rifle suitable to engage indivual targets beyond about 300 metres. A trained infantryman armed with an AK can anticipate a first-round hit on a human silhouette in firing from a supported prone position with .95 level of confidence at 100 metres, .85 at 200 metres and .75 at 300 metres, based on NATO evaluations of Combloc weapons.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
28 May 2014, 13:47,
Choosing between an Ak 47 and an slr(fn fal) as a shooter to own now and enjoy it would be the slr for its solid feel better sights , harder hitting more accurate calibre , hard to say which is the better gun in general as they both have good and bad points but going into a survival situation I would choose the ak for its ultimate reliability it's more compact dimensions lighter ammo and the ability to go full auto(i know some fals are capable of full auto but usually the shooter is not!)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!