Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 rooks and a magpie.
5 June 2014, 21:11,
RE: 2 rooks and a magpie.
A word on the General Licence. This is the document that allows us to kill certain species that cause crop damage, or in some circumstances cause a health or safety hazard. The wording has been changed recently, and for some species ( Wood Pigeon for example ) you are now required to have either tried alternative protection methods or be reasonably sure that alternative methods won't work. This is a little ambiguous, but gives scope for organizations such as the RSPB or private individuals to bring legal action against you if you just fancy "one for the pot" from the garden.

Make sure you know exactly what to say if challenged. An example would be " I've tried everything to keep those pigeons off my sprouts, CD's on strings, a model Owl, balloons on sticks, but none of them work, so I've had to shoot them."

Of course once you've shot the Wood Pigeon you have to safely dispose of the body. I recommend quick frying in a little olive oil and garlic.
6 June 2014, 14:21,
RE: 2 rooks and a magpie.
For the woodies, I like them in the food processor with some sausage meet, a chunk of cheese, mix in an egg, some onions, and make a lovely burger or 3.

Good point with the wording there Steve. "I have done everything reasonable within my power and capability to deal with...." That is my default response.

I spoke with BSAC to help with a couple of issues a while back. They said that as long as I've taken REASONABLE measures, that's fine.

Say there's a massive field and crows or woodies are causing damage, reasonable measure might be a scarecrow. Anything more than that, e.g. shiney metal or CD's to scare them off...if the field's too big and it's impractical, then they would not be considered reasonable measures. They kept repeating the words, "You have to be convinced, yourself, that you have taken reasonable measures..."
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin