Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting Sticks - Walking Poles part 1
14 June 2014, 22:59,
Shooting Sticks - Walking Poles part 1
Today I got back from shooting to find 2 parcels in the porch! One was a new waterproof jacket and the other was a set of walking poles.

I have had a bit of a play with the walking poles by crossing the mylon hand straps amd using the cradle created as a shooting stick style rig.

To my surprise, they proved to be most effective. Shooting out at 28 meters and 9/10 shots being clean impacts on my spinner target. The 1/10 that missed, I either know why (e.g. I pulled the shot or too heavy on the trigger) or it was literally a few mm off the target.

A quick note, if you're using a spinner, have a sheet of paper behind the target so you can see how much you missed by and where the shot ended up.

So, my initial view on the use of walking poles as shooting sticks, definitely viable!

The increased stability and how easy they are to set up....very happy!

I'm going to camo them up, for use in the field, and will give a second review then. Maybe some pics too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 June 2014, 15:59, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2014, 15:59 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Shooting Sticks - Walking Poles part 1
I like shoting off sticks just don't like carrying them lol.......harris bipod is my preferred choice but you can't alway's go prone ,woodland for instance.

Shooting evenBlush
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
16 June 2014, 03:14,
For years I have used a single walking staff of a length to reach my armpit when standing next to it. This keeps one hand free, but enables youbto maintain balance in rocky terrain, etc. I drilled a 1cm hole through one end, about 5cm from the top, and have tied a lanyard of paracord, 50cm long through the hole. In use I can place my thumb through the loop, using the staff to steady a rifle, pistol or camera, holding the gun or camera in my hand normally, using the staff as a monopod.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
16 June 2014, 09:24,
what about a "thumb" stick?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2014, 10:19,
i have used a chestnut thumb stick for years you can buy them for around £35 but its much better to keep your eyes open when on a walk and carry a folding saw . if you don't want something that is 5ft long until your shooting try a telescopic one
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
16 June 2014, 10:40,
I saw a thumb stick for sale at the Scythe fair yesterday for £5, I meant to go back and buy it before we left but I forgot!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.