Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mushrooms from spawn
16 September 2014, 20:50,
Mushrooms from spawn
I plan to have a go at growing my own mushrooms. I've seen an advert for spawn for shi take mushrooms (my favourite), which apparently have to be grown on newly cut logs. I've never done this before, so it should be interesting. Has anyone else done this, and are there any must-do tips?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 September 2014, 13:13,
RE: Mushrooms from spawn
I got some that you grow on boards, expensive boards may I add.

They work out fine but like everything else I grow it is much cheaper to just buy in a supermarket.

Until after an event then it'll be worth it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 September 2014, 18:41,
Oow, sounds interesting.

Personally I've just spent a load of time learning about 3 very easy to distinguish (think unmistakeable for poisonous ones) edible mushrooms that grow in the area. But actually growing your own would be cool. Let us know how it goes.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 September 2014, 11:31,
Moisture is key with the shrooms. I couldn't get mine to grow much at all. I had a kit that came with everything.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

18 September 2014, 11:39,
one thing I did find out from doing a "Fungi Foray" course is that there are FAR more mushrooms out there that will kill you than are edible, if you aren't COMPLETELY sure of what your eating DONT EAT IT.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 September 2014, 14:18,
WARNING these ones pack a punch.

dont eat or make tea if you do not know what your doing.
Survive the jive (youtube )
18 September 2014, 15:47,
I know a guy who is a mushroom expert. He says that there are a few common mushrooms out there. Remember those top 5 from a book on Mushroom ID and don't touch anything else. That includes collecting those somethings for later analysis. They always look different after they have been picked and they contaminate your basket.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 September 2014, 19:00,
(18 September 2014, 15:47)Skean Dhude Wrote: I know a guy who is a mushroom expert. He says that there are a few common mushrooms out there. Remember those top 5 from a book on Mushroom ID and don't touch anything else. That includes collecting those somethings for later analysis. They always look different after they have been picked and they contaminate your basket.

That was exactly the route I went down...but less adventurous...only 3 and not 5.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 September 2014, 19:18,
He said 5. I would go with what you feel comfortable with. I've only seen three common types in our area that are OK to eat so I'll probably do the same the others I have difficulty seeing the differences.
Skean Dhude