Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what if this was after TSHTF?
1 November 2014, 14:54,
RE: what if this was after TSHTF?
I do find the idea that somehow modern transport infrastructure will last for a long time, 30 years or even indefinitely to be fanciful at the very least, a bit like the Yanks who think oil will last forever.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2014, 15:06, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2014, 15:09 by Midnitemo.)
when I was a kid they said oil would be all gone by my 30's...I'm 50 next year!

what does it matter if a few roads become blocked ? most will be on foot/bicycle/pony by then just go round the blockage its not rocket science.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 November 2014, 15:14, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2014, 15:15 by bigpaul.)
not just a few, it will a culmination over time as more and more fail, but as you say by then where the hell would we all be going? not very far I would say, and we can get there by foot, bicycle or donkey anyway, road fuel would be long gone and most of the cars would have been long abandoned.

carry a saw and an axe everywhere you go and you'll probably do fine.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2014, 15:49,
(1 November 2014, 14:54)bigpaul Wrote: I do find the idea that somehow modern transport infrastructure will last for a long time, 30 years or even indefinitely to be fanciful at the very least, a bit like the Yanks who think oil will last forever.

Please refer to paragraph 2.27 in the following DfT "Design Manual" for Roads:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/...hd2606.pdf

This confirms a standard design life of 40 years for Roads.

As for bridges, please refer to section 3.1 in the following document:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/.../bd981.pdf

Again this confirm all new bridges have a design life of 120 years.

So although you may not believe it, I can assure you it is the case that infrastructure is "Designed" to last.

And also you have all the examples of historic examples of existing roads and bridges which simply haven't disintegrated after 20 years.....
1 November 2014, 17:49, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2014, 18:02 by bigpaul.)
maybe under normal circumstances with the usual maintenance and repair but we are not talking normal, we are talking post SHTF which will be anything but normal, without the labour just to remove storm damage, flood waters, usual winter build up of leaves and debris and fallen trees,hedging and ditching, you know the usual stuff done around north devon by the highways people(I have a parish lengthsman living across the road from me and he's always out on call), and the usual hedge cutting done by farmers and the landowners, to say nothing of all those road repair gangs that cone off the roads for weeks at a time just as we approach the tourist season in the south westBig Grin and that dosent include the roads like the one at Umberleigh that has fallen into the river, or the 2 nearer South Molton that did the same, or the road near Holsworthy that is permanently shut cos its so badly potholed its undriveable, in a post SHTF world none of this will be going on.as I've said already anyone moving around then better have a saw and an axe on their person at all times or else they will come to a quick halt.

if anyone is expecting to use a certain road or a certain bridge in their location post SHTF either for bugging out or on a regular scavenging/patrolling route they might be wise to check them first to see if there in useable condition or if the access is blocked and take the necessary steps to either remedy this or to find an alternative route.