Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomslang Recon Crossbow
3 November 2014, 02:00,
Boomslang Recon Crossbow
Has anyone ever come across or have any experience of the following folding crossbow:

http://outdoorhobbies.co.uk/boomslang-re...1367-p.asp

I like the compactness of it meaning it, would be easy to conceal in a bag when moving about.
3 November 2014, 08:10,
RE: Boomslang Recon Crossbow
I too would be interested if anyone has experience with one of these, I looked at the Barnett model some time ago, in the end I went for more powerful bow, but would like one of these in my arsenal if they are up to the job.
3 November 2014, 10:36,
I looked at this as I was going to buy one. It uses special bolts which are fixed point only and cant have the tips changed, for broadheads, for example. Plus they don't recommend any other bolts get used. So one supplier for the bolts and no choice of tips.

Not really of use for what I want which is a pity but there will be others.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 November 2014, 11:05,
It is simplicity itself to make your own Bolts. Simply buy cheap alloy bolts and cut them down to size if need be, and put an adapter in the end so you can fit broadheads, simplesBig Grin A lot more accurate than a Bow, and easier to learn, its a winner.
3 November 2014, 11:32,
Looking at the one shown the bolts are exactly the same as the bolts that I've received with other cross bows and in fact I think manufacturing or adapting a crossbow bolt is easer than doing the same for arrows.
The one thing I like about crossbows is that they are an ideal weapon for ambushing game as they need very little movement to aim and shoot, bows have an advantage in rate of fire when it comes to defence.
What I'd real like to know about this bow is, is it rugged enough for hard use and is it effectively accurate between 15 and 30 yards
3 November 2014, 11:34, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2014, 12:13 by Devonian.)
(3 November 2014, 11:32)T-oddity Wrote: Looking at the one shown the bolts are exactly the same as the bolts that I've received with other cross bows and in fact I think manufacturing or adapting a crossbow bolt is easer than doing the same for arrows.
The one thing I like about crossbows is that they are an ideal weapon for ambushing game as they need very little movement to aim and shoot, bows have an advantage in rate of fire when it comes to defence.
What I'd real like to know about this bow is, is it rugged enough for hard use and is it effectively accurate between 15 and 30 yards

Yes good questions.

I've put a question into the shop about the bolts to see what their response is......

I can't quite get my head around the need for this crossbow needing specific bolts, but the supplier has said:

The Boomslang uses specific fibreglass flat nock bolts. The tips are fixed and the weight, length and thickness also differ. If you use other bolts there is no warranty.

Does anyone more in the know about these things see any reason why other bolts cannot be used (other than the manufacturer wanting to sell his specific bolts), or made as TH has suggested?

Further info from the supplier:

The bolts are 6mm diameter and 12" long. The Boomslang has a range of about 4-60 yards. Yes it is very well made and mostly metal, no problems with the folding mech.
3 November 2014, 12:14,
Why take the chance is my view. If they make it locked down then you that a chance by unlocking. Why bother especially for why we are looking at these bits of kit. Another will be along soon.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 November 2014, 12:57,
wouldn't a folding crossbow have more parts to go wrong...than a fixed one I mean? I've got an old 100lb Barnet Wildcat and a 150lb Armex which are nice solid bits of kit and easy to use. isn't a folding crossbow just a bit of a gimmick??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 November 2014, 13:38,
(3 November 2014, 12:57)bigpaul Wrote: isn't a folding crossbow just a bit of a gimmick??

No, I don't think it is.

It's very useful to be able to be able to walk around in public if needed, with the crossbow totally hidden from view in a small back pack.
3 November 2014, 13:56,
Fit in a backback, back of the car or in a box in the boot. All my crossbows are massive things that take up a vast amount of space and not easy to carry.
Skean Dhude