Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foraged.
14 November 2014, 14:54,
Foraged.
picked up a load of cooking apples a couple of days ago, nothing wrong with them, they were dumped in a gully on the grass verge, we reckon we've got enough for the whole winter, had some in an apple crumble last night, really tasty.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 November 2014, 16:41,
RE: Foraged.
Nice little pick up BP....lucky bugger !
14 November 2014, 16:46,
up at the stables there are absolutely ton's of chantrelle mushrooms, I've told everybody there but they all look at me like I'm mad....is there a way of successfully storing wild mushrooms in quantity?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
14 November 2014, 16:57,
(14 November 2014, 16:46)Midnitemo Wrote: up at the stables there are absolutely ton's of chantrelle mushrooms, I've told everybody there but they all look at me like I'm mad....is there a way of successfully storing wild mushrooms in quantity?

I'm no expert, but can you not dry them on a wire rack on a very low heat in the oven?
14 November 2014, 19:00,
I think you need a dehydrator to do it properly.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 November 2014, 19:29,
(14 November 2014, 19:00)bigpaul Wrote: I think you need a dehydrator to do it properly.

Yes, if you have Wink

Otherwise an oven can be used:

http://www.wikihow.com/Dry-Mushrooms

http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Deh...Method.htm
14 November 2014, 19:36,
you have to be very careful about mushrooms, you have to POSITIVELY identify them, if your not sure then leave them alone, I know one thing, there are hundreds if not thousands of "fungi" out there and only a few are edible, the rest will kill you if you don't know what your doing.
15 November 2014, 03:00,
i thought it was the other way around....3000 species in the uk and only about 30 will do you in ...1% bad 99% good.....defo chantrelle and no white gill's which is usually a bad sign
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 November 2014, 10:40,
nope its definitely the other way around, only a few are edible. and you need to know "one from T'other".
15 November 2014, 11:41,
I'm no fungi expert, I can identify about 5 or 6 mushrooms that I'm happy to pick and eat, but reading Richard Mabey's Food for Free, he states:

"There are 3,000 species of large-bodied fungi growing in the British Isles, yet only twenty-odd of these are seriously poisonous. Admittedly, many hundreds of the remainder are inedible because of toughness, indigestibility or taste.”

But yes BP is correct about making sure you are 110% positive about the shrooms that that you are picking.....

That said the Chantrelle are one of the easier ones to identify, if you've done your homework.