Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where Most Prepping Falls Short:
1 December 2014, 23:03,
RE: Where Most Prepping Falls Short:
Take care.

2 December 2014, 00:11, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 00:12 by Devonian.)
OK, I know it's difficult to read what people are thinking at times, so if anyone thinks I'm having a go at them, please be assured, that is not the case!

But I do think this has been a valuable thread with some good points raised on both sides of the argument, so lets not give up, but if we can all try and avoid personal attacks/insults, and then I'm sure we will all learn far more.........
2 December 2014, 00:15, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 00:32 by Midnitemo.)
I fully grasp what John is saying but I'm to ill prepared to contemplate a long term future he predict's at this moment in time , I agree with what he say's in the main but for me and mine my current goal is to still be alive and able after the dust settles , all the skill's and knowledge aren't worth a wank if you don't make it through the initial onslaught of whatever befall's us....I have started to take an interest in foraging(it's a startUndecided) but first thing's first, got to survive before you can thrive....I will address those future needs once I've got the survival needs squared away.

the thing I fear most after a major event is not pestilence not hunger not thirst not disease..... it's my fellow man....man can be evil beyond imagination.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
2 December 2014, 15:23, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 15:24 by Devonian.)
(2 December 2014, 00:15)Midnitemo Wrote: I fully grasp what John is saying but I'm to ill prepared to contemplate a long term future he predict's at this moment in time , I agree with what he say's in the main but for me and mine my current goal is to still be alive and able after the dust settles , all the skill's and knowledge aren't worth a wank if you don't make it through the initial onslaught of whatever befall's us....I have started to take an interest in foraging(it's a startUndecided) but first thing's first, got to survive before you can thrive....I will address those future needs once I've got the survival needs squared away.

the thing I fear most after a major event is not pestilence not hunger not thirst not disease..... it's my fellow man....man can be evil beyond imagination.

Good points Midnitemo, we need to be able to walk before we can run!!

My worst case scenario is a complete collapse, but without the predicted die off - then we potentially have a country full of evil psychopaths and very few resources/supplies to spread around!
2 December 2014, 16:10, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 16:19 by bigpaul.)
the die off would follow because following a collapse we could not feed every one out of the 64+ million in this country, the very old, the infirm and those on life saving medication or life saving hospital treatment would go first, closely followed by those on drugs both legal and illegal, starvation/dehydration/disease and suicide would be the lot of anyone left, hopefully all the immigrants and health tourists would all bugger off back where they came from therefore decreasing the numbers even more. everyone that was left would have to look out for themselves as no help would be coming from the government(most of which would have sodded off at the first hint of trouble), that's when everyone who laughed at the Doomsday Preppers programme or thought "survivors" was just entertainment realises they are in SH1T street, only those who have PREPARED are likely to survive as most people will start dropping like flies about 1 month after they run out of any food they might have had left over when the shop deliveries stopped and the power went off.

it depends if its a FAST collapse or a SLOW collapse, a slow collapse might leave enough survivors(initially) but because there are more people the resources would get used up quicker whearas if its a fast collapse this would leave less survivors but more of the resources would be left for them to make use of.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 December 2014, 16:29,
I suspect there will be a die off it's the size that's in question, there will be lots of scores settled by small minded thug's WROL is going to be very scary , people doing as they please with impunity , far and away my biggest challenge is to keep me and mine out of the clutches of the maniac's that will be running around out there...when territory and truces have been established then will be a time for John's skill's to come into play.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
2 December 2014, 16:35,
I suspect the die off period would not last very long, it would be dictated by how much spare food is available, once that has been consumed either by eating or has simply been trashed, tramped or burnt then it would begin. its duration probably wouldn't last that long, once that is over even the most rabid thug(if he lived through it) would see the reason to make truces and liasons in order to survive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 December 2014, 17:45, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 17:48 by CharlesHarris.)
I found this an interesting read as far as describing the "handwriting on the wall"

While it is only peripheral to this thread, looking at it in the context we have been discussing, I was wondering what those of you closer to the flagpole think, and if you agree:

http://20committee.com/2014/11/29/is-thi...of-europe/

Reader's Digest condensed version

"If the European center-right does not make haste to address essential issues of immigration and national identity, in a way that is plausible and free of cant and condescension, they will surrender this huge issue to the far-right, which now is increasingly allied with Putin’s Russia on this and many other matters."

Maybe....

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
2 December 2014, 17:57,
Charles in this instance ( nicely chosen BTW) When they refer to the far right they are talking about actual quite moderate political parties like UKIP which is our version of the Tea Party.

2 December 2014, 17:57,
I would like to keep this thread ON topic if at all possible, this is veering onto the political side of things which we (in the UK) have no control of until and unless to leave the EU, which we wont be allowed to even vote on until 2017 !! can we please keep the thread and the forum "politics lite" and concentrate on pure prepping/survivalism topics?? thank you!