Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where Most Prepping Falls Short:
2 December 2014, 18:02, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2014, 18:48 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Where Most Prepping Falls Short:
I think the likelihood of a collapse sure must increase ( Yes / No ? ) if we continue to allow the populations to increase by at least 1 million every 4 years, this is still a small island state with gross overcrowding, 2.5 million shortfall in homes, all utilities and services at capacity yet they still come here at over 250,000 a year. Once you get to a certain level the poor and dispossessed will realise they are never going to be able to improve their quality of life. If they decide they have nothing to lose then they WILL rise up against society in general. Continious economic growth is a myth and wide open borders is an invite to disaster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30285777

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ester.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...risis.html

3 December 2014, 09:11,
I also note that even after five years of austerity that the National Debt is in excess of £1 Trillion pounds and the government is still borrowing £97 Billion a year ( but even though its BORROWING MONEY like Labour would , its GIVING it away in EU membership and Foreign aid ) I'm starting to look more and more at a total collapse of our economy.

3 December 2014, 10:16,
we're back on politics again, that's this thread buggered then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 December 2014, 11:40,
A collapsing economy is a survival risk not politics, if we were argi=uing who is to blame then yes it would be politics, but its the end result of screwed up politics that causes survival threats.

If our economy goes into recession again regardless of which bunch of cretins are in charge then we are all going to suffer.

3 December 2014, 13:42,
(3 December 2014, 11:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: A collapsing economy is a survival risk not politics, if we were argi=uing who is to blame then yes it would be politics, but its the end result of screwed up politics that causes survival threats.

If our economy goes into recession again regardless of which bunch of cretins are in charge then we are all going to suffer.

The way I see it, is it's not so much who's to blame as that's past tense, but who's the more likely bunch of idiots that could create an economic crash???

So yes it is relevant.
3 December 2014, 15:11,
Watching TV and reading the papers I reckon those in power are putting far more effort into fighting among themselves than fixing the country.

3 December 2014, 15:13,
nothing new there then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 December 2014, 16:38,
we do have a general election in less than 6 months dontcha know??Big Grin
4 December 2014, 01:14,
Oh wow where to even start with this... I think I voiced something similar a while back ("Are we all just kidding ourselves?" IIRC)

Whilst John's initial post raises loads of valid points, I don't think a crash or collapse will result in a return to the stone age, unless we are really unlucky. BP made this point too, I think humans in general are pretty good at surviving crashes and coming out the other side reasonably ok, after all, what is human history but a series of collapsing and changing civilizations? Please see my recent review of The Knowledge How to Rebuild our World from Scratch for more on this. I think a good group of survivors could soon return to a printing press and gunpowder level of technology.

I still think that in any given scenario, a good proportion of British preppers will not survive; it'll be hard to hide for long from raiders, and hard to defend your little patch (later on this would be more feasible in my opinion.) I honestly think luck will be a large factor in those who survive, and in the end we will be sharing an island with a scattered population of the lucky who stumble through, the vicious primal gangs of men and those who were prepared ( the groups are not mutually exclusive.) As such, we should all be ready to ride across the rainbow bridge . . . that would be a pretty noble albeit f*cking brutal end, a rorkes drift style last stand against groups of raiders.

NR is right on seafood; early humans tended to run to the coast and stay there. Things like salt from the sea, sustainable supply of fats, seaweed for making soda ash, as well as lots of flotsam.

Mortblanc - in an ideal world I would have been in rural Idaho, but here I am stuck in Norfolk with a head full of ideas about constitutional republics, pioneers and natural, and unalienable rights to things like bearing arms and free speech....

BP, I'm studying Agricultural Management atm, currently the UK produces around 60% of indigenous foods, but that is with modern farming which is just as interdependent and fragile as the IT industry. About half of the modern yield levels come from artificial nitrate application, even on the best soils. If we could go back to something like the Norfolk four course (legumes to fix N, nitrate hungry crops like maize and wheat, then root crops, mainly for animal feed before nitrate scavengers like Rye or barley) where animals are a crucial part of food production, we could probably support quite a large number. Interestingly, the gap between "modern" agriculture and organic, sustainable etc farming is shrinking, as more farmers adopt minimal tillage systems, green manures etc simply because it's reeeealy expensive and quite illegal to chuck agrochemicals everywhere.

It's amazing to see how much squabbling there is here. I would have thought we'd all be reasonably united, as prepping often seems to be a political identity all of its own. Where do you all go when not posting here? Is there a VIP UK prepper email chain I should get involved in or something? Big Grin
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
4 December 2014, 09:57,
interesting post Tibbs! I do not think we would(initially) revert to the stone age post SHTF although that may come for future generations (if there are any) once the available resources are all used up, but I think we will revert to a 17th Century life style ( cue "return to green valley" as an example of this) in that everything will be done by hand(no fuel, no artificial fertilisers, no oil etc.etc.), when I was growing up we were taught that farms practised "crop rotation" in that 1 field in 4 was left to "rest" for an entire year and crops were not grown in the same field year after year, these days "monocropping" seems to be common practice.