Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How real is the threat...
3 December 2014, 14:13,
How real is the threat...
So we all know ISIS stole 40Kg of uranium from an Iraqi University during the summer and now there are claims that they have used this to develop a Dirty Bomb which 'could' inflict serious damage in London (or another European city).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bri...ty-4721561

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rsity.html

So how real is the threat and is this changing anything you do...

For me I think the physical threat is minimal, but even if a dirty bomb did go off in London, the effects would be wide ranging with so much of the countries political power and financial institutions all located in a small area, it could therefore have an impact on everything from travel restrictions (across a much wider area); affect the stock markets/investments/currency markets/pensions etc; it could affect general commerce etc and effectively lead to rising prices for basic commodities and services that we all use throughout the country.......

It could also draw us much deeper into a more involved armed conflict with ISIS.

Ultimately the impacts are pretty much unknown beyond the obvious clean up etc, but the knock on effects for all of us could be significant.
3 December 2014, 14:34,
RE: How real is the threat...
In my mind I've not seen any confirmation of the theft, just boasts from ISIS, Also as far as I know its uranium ore unrefined and hardly worth nicking, then if it is refined it will be quite radioactive and would not get past any scanners in the UKs ports. Besides I think if ISIs did have such stuff they would far rather used it on Israel than us.

3 December 2014, 15:12,
terrorism is all about the "terror" bit, all they have to do is threaten to do something they don't actually have to do it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 December 2014, 15:48,
Dirty bombs are more a case of being economic weapons rather than people killers, they are designed to pollute valuable land with isotopes and make it cost a fortune to clear up.

3 December 2014, 15:54,
don't know much about this sort of thing, how would they get the isotope thingies into this country? would a Geiger counter pick it up?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 December 2014, 16:18,
If its refined it will be very radio active and should set off every scanner in every port.

3 December 2014, 16:27,
(3 December 2014, 15:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: Dirty bombs are more a case of being economic weapons rather than people killers, they are designed to pollute valuable land with isotopes and make it cost a fortune to clear up.

Exactly my point.

(3 December 2014, 15:54)bigpaul Wrote: don't know much about this sort of thing, how would they get the isotope thingies into this country? would a Geiger counter pick it up?

Admittedly it would be easier to target Paris, or Rome, or Berlin, or Madrid etc as they can literally drive the material across the border from Syria or Iraqi and go overland into Europe. But at the same time, what's to stop them (other than their own capabilities!!!) of sailing a boat or motor cruiser across the channel and off loading onto a isolated south coast beach ......

But as NR says, whether or not they actually have the material we don't really know, but I would say they certainly seem to have the capability to engineer a dirty bomb.
3 December 2014, 16:29,
Cornwall always used to be the place if you wanted to land anything off a boat onto a beach, all those deserted little coves and beaches!!Smile
3 December 2014, 16:37,
(3 December 2014, 16:29)bigpaul Wrote: Cornwall always used to be the place if you wanted to land anything off a boat onto a beach, all those deserted little coves and beaches!!Smile

Yep, and we still get occasional news reports of bales of drugs found floating in the water around some isolated cove.
3 December 2014, 16:41,
yep, used to be Rum and Baccy, now its drugs, some time in the future it could be isotopes??? I'm surprised the people smugglers don't come in that way instead of trying to get on a lorry at Calais.