Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another question please
11 December 2014, 20:09,
RE: Another question please
I have a spring, plus rainwater collection from an 80ftx40ft epoxy coated metal roof, but both of these can run dry so I have 7000 litres of stored water. 2700 is connected to automatically filled animal troughs, the rest is diverted manually. There is no single point of failure that can drain my reserves, It would take 5 separate failures to get my stored reserves down to less than 1000 litres, and none of this is counting the ponds - I have no idea how much water they hold now or will hold in hot dry weather.
11 December 2014, 20:41,
A nice little logburner installed this year - cooking and heating.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 December 2014, 20:41,
1. Berky
2. a couple of leisure batteries + 1kva inverter + solar panel
11 December 2014, 23:14, (This post was last modified: 11 December 2014, 23:17 by NorthernRaider.)
Oh I need to get a couple of 100AH leisure batteries, but (A) I cant afford them and (B) I want to buy them without them being filled with acid.

Mary we have a nice little wood / multi fuel burners but the stove pipe comes out the top not the back ( My fault) so we are thinking about adding a wood burning Frontier stove to our preps.

I like the comprehensive water resources you have invested in Steve, does it and the ponds take much maintence, my own water experiences only involved a few Koi ponds I built years ago at a previous home.

12 December 2014, 02:26,
Got to be a berkey, and a solid fuel burner to, I can't burn the wood I aquire quick enough !
12 December 2014, 08:37,
NR, the ponds are new, I dug them this year, and so far haven't required any maintenance at all. They are not a drinking water resource, we intend to keep ducks and geese. They are not deep enough for carp, they are shallow enough for pond weed to grow all across the bottom, which will help feed the ducks. In an emergency I can breach the side and allow the water to flow down to the bottom field, I need to get a tap system installed.

The 2700 litre container collects rainwater directly from the barn roof ( actually only from a quarter of it as there are downpipes at each corner, three of which are currently unused ), the overflow from the 2700l is piped to IBC containers and I move the hose manually from one to another to empty and refill them. I could do with an automated system, especially when I get some more IBCs.
12 December 2014, 09:05, (This post was last modified: 12 December 2014, 09:05 by NorthernRaider.)
Steve, nice well thought out set up, I never ever contemplated digging a pond for ducks and geese before yet such ponds were once commonplace in most small communities and communes, even more irking I have been looking at the very same thing on that TV show on BBC about building a castle in France.

I wish I had enough space for such a good idea / investment.

I'll have your excess wood then Spandy Smile

12 December 2014, 14:27,
Keep adding to my knowledge and skills, If I'm left with absolutely nothing, I still have something to work with.
12 December 2014, 14:31,
Y'cannae beat Wisdom they say T-oddity Smile