Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secure Shed
19 January 2015, 17:57,
RE: Secure Shed
I have done some reading on breaking into allotment sheds in GB and it appears that eventually all of them will fall prey to thieves. The more difficult one makes the job of stealing the better the chances the thieves will become irritated and burn the shed down.

I did enjoy the police bulletin from somewhere around Bristol where the police were demanding that the thieves and destroyers of allotment sheds in their area turn themselves in immediately and take their punishment.

Do they really expect someone to walk into the station and confess?

As was stated in the OP, you can get into anything if you have the tools and time. So I do not think I would place anything in an allotment shed I did not expect to see stolen. I would then place a moderately good padlock on it to keep the honest folks honest and call it done.

My home is tricked out with chains on both sides of each door, a crossbar on each door, deadbolts on everything and grilled/shuttered windows, but I still ask the neighbors to keep an eye on things if I am gone for a day or two. Your allotment shed is going to sit untended for days at a time and there will be no one that watches, or if they do watch they will not care.

Some of the security schemes I see here would cost more than the shed and all its contents and I suspect are more aggressive than what is on/in the average home.

Perhaps it is best if one not trick out the allotment shed "man cave" to the same standards as a gentlemen's club
and settle for a cheap solar light, a heater and radio from the thrift store, a folding chase lounge and a good book. It might irritate one to lose that to a thief, but it would not break the budget.

Messages In This Thread
Secure Shed - by PrepperJohn - 18 January 2015, 12:12
RE: Secure Shed - by Geordie_Rob - 18 January 2015, 13:32
RE: Secure Shed - by Bucket - 18 January 2015, 13:53
RE: Secure Shed - by Steve - 18 January 2015, 17:30
RE: Secure Shed - by Tartar Horde - 19 January 2015, 14:11
RE: Secure Shed - by Mortblanc - 19 January 2015, 17:57
RE: Secure Shed - by Midnitemo - 19 January 2015, 19:09
RE: Secure Shed - by Geordie_Rob - 19 January 2015, 20:42
RE: Secure Shed - by Devonian - 19 January 2015, 23:28
RE: Secure Shed - by Sunna - 19 January 2015, 23:48
RE: Secure Shed - by Geordie_Rob - 20 January 2015, 08:15