Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Renters?
21 January 2015, 22:49,
Any Renters?
My sister rents local authority she's not a prepper by any stretch of the imagination she has 5 kids and I'm concerned. When you own your home there are a great many options, I've never really considered the restrictions for renters until recently.

With that said I'm wondering if anyone rents either council or private, I hoped you'd share your plans for cooking and heating in a power down scenario. I know short term you're ok with camping stoves, maybe a gas canister heater and blankets but for anything longer I'm struggling to come up with much.
22 January 2015, 00:15,
RE: Any Renters?
I rent from the council. I asked for permission to install a multi fuel stove (don't live in smokeless zone) & straight away I got "No" as their response.

I'm planning on asking again but with a defra approved wood burner instead of a multi fuel stove.

Short term, as you say, I've got camp style gas cookers & calor gas heaters. But the supply would be exhausted pretty quickly if we had to majorly rely on them & no other options. I'm looking at getting one of those frontier stoves. Nothing major, but gives us another option for cooking & also heating if I install it into my shed at the allotment. It'll be cramped, but warm.
22 January 2015, 01:12,
are you NR......???????
Survive the jive (youtube )
22 January 2015, 04:28,
Saw something (think It might have actually been on here) that could prove useful for those with minimal preps, take an empty tin (the paint kind or even golden syrup would probably work), take a kitchen/toilet roll and pull the cardboard out, shove the paper into the tin and fill with a flammable liquid, then just light it and you have a small room heater/camping stove.
Winter is coming
22 January 2015, 08:01, (This post was last modified: 22 January 2015, 08:05 by Smudge.)
(22 January 2015, 00:15)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I rent from the council. I asked for permission to install a multi fuel stove (don't live in smokeless zone) & straight away I got "No" as their response.

I'm planning on asking again but with a defra approved wood burner instead of a multi fuel stove.

Short term, as you say, I've got camp style gas cookers & calor gas heaters. But the supply would be exhausted pretty quickly if we had to majorly rely on them & no other options. I'm looking at getting one of those frontier stoves. Nothing major, but gives us another option for cooking & also heating if I install it into my shed at the allotment. It'll be cramped, but warm.

I doubt you'll get the go ahead from a local authority, because of insurances and inspection costs. (If if you pay to have it installed and checked by people with the required qualifications, they'd still need to pass it off). Is there noway of incorporating a frontier type at your residence?

(22 January 2015, 01:12)Sunna Wrote: are you NR......???????

You seem confused as the the subject matter of the thread, please read OP again.

(22 January 2015, 04:28)Hex Wrote: Saw something (think It might have actually been on here) that could prove useful for those with minimal preps, take an empty tin (the paint kind or even golden syrup would probably work), take a kitchen/toilet roll and pull the cardboard out, shove the paper into the tin and fill with a flammable liquid, then just light it and you have a small room heater/camping stove.

Yeah, there are any number of such cookers I use old shoe polish tins to make 3 variations of such, the down side is they require either wax or a flammable liquid so it's a short term response to what might be a long term situation.

During the Bosnian conflict the locals made heaters and lamps burning diesel mixed with other things, I'd hate to see an xray of their lungs.
22 January 2015, 11:19,
Yup, we rent at the moment. I've got frontier stove, so if the SHTF I'd use that for cooking / heating. Also got army field kitchen burner that'll run on petrol. bloody huge thing.

Just modify the house as you need to when the situation arises (have everything ready before hand obviously) and deal with the consequences as and when.
22 January 2015, 11:44,
I have rented for the last 35 years, 29 years of that was what you might call "council housing" although these days its Housing Association(I don't know anywhere these days that is still COUNCIL houses). just after we moved in here I asked HA if we could put in a wood burning stove at our own expense-the answer was a resounding NO-"all our houses are smokeless" what they actually meant is there ALL ELECTRIC, no chimneys, no fireplaces. I've got the usual camping stoves, rocket stove, mobile gas heater for heating for the short term but for the long term I have a wood burning stove all ready to be fitted(its one a friend made out of an old gas cylinder) when SHTF, and yes I have a store of wood ready to go(small amount at the moment but growing daily).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 January 2015, 12:02,
I used to rent and if u did have a shtf scenario then u could take out a window cover it with a board/metal sheet and put in hole for portable wood burner. We also had loads of blankets
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

22 January 2015, 12:08,
Smudge, my next application is going to include all insurance, qualifications from HETAS etc.. provided by the installer. I've been told to expect a quote of around £2k all in. These guys guarantee to sweep the chimney & service the stove (no idea how you service a big empty metal box) for 10 years & provide a certificate of assurance or whatever they're called for insurance compliance. If the council still refuse after that then I'm going to appeal with the whole "wood is carbon neutral) rubbish & get them to hopefully approve it that way. My mate also has a council house by the same council & they granted his without any trouble.

As for putting the frontier stove in a house, I'm not sure as the chimneys aren't very tall & are thin so don't know if it could be put up my current chimney & work as it should.
22 January 2015, 12:41,
(22 January 2015, 12:08)Geordie_Rob Wrote: As for putting the frontier stove in a house, I'm not sure as the chimneys aren't very tall & are thin so don't know if it could be put up my current chimney & work as it should.

Chimney should drag the air up, so *shouldn't* be a problem. BUT, personally, I'd vent it out a window etc round the back of the house.