Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Maps in your BOB
8 January 2012, 20:47,
The Maps in your BOB
The Maps in your BOB

I’ve gotten round to thinking I may try and source a high quality UK specific atlas / road map book to add to my BOB, I’ll try and explain the logic in my thinking. But it’s going to have to be quite small and compact, no more than say A5.

I’ve got OS Land Rangers 1:50,000 for the immediate area but there is a definite possibility that (A) I may have to travel far after TSHTF or (B) I may already be a long way from home when TSHTF and I need to be able to navigate back home ergo the need for a decent road atlas in my BOB

I have zero faith in GPS systems for multiple reasons, such as reliance on batteries, the EU or US govt turning their systems off during a crisis, the EU or US govt altering the accuracy settings (lat, long, alt) deliberately (they actually do that quite often to bugger up other nations using our GPS systems to fire missiles at us).

I also keep reading that the atomic clocks in every GPS satellite have to re-calibrated either every day or twice every day depending on who you believe, and that if the recalibrating signals are not sent within a week the satellites will lose their accuracy and start to turn themselves off. So if a major collapse occurs the GPS system could fail for various reasons far too easily. And that is not including some hostile nation shooting at the satellites.

Hence I think it’s probably wise if I buy some modern 2012 issue compact road atlases to share around my BOBS.

8 January 2012, 20:57,
RE: The Maps in your BOB
Always worth having maps and I have a several GPS systems none are major features in my preps. Maps are they way to go. I've done an article on the main site a while ago. Local bike routes, walking routes and major maps marked with key locations.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 January 2012, 12:47,
we have a full set of maps of most of the south west, some maps we have doubles of...the ones we use regularly.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 January 2012, 13:59,
http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/index.aspx?nid=30&iid=8915
I have in my bob, an A-Z superscale atlas of Britain and Northern Ireland 2.5 miles to the inch it cost £14.95 at my local supermarket.
It's just what I was looking for, as I thought about the need to travel post shtf if I had too and the fact I couldnt possibly carry all the maps.
This way I can navgate the whole country and if I need to, just purchase extra maps of pecial significance or interest beforehand.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
9 January 2012, 14:26,
Mike,

Maps like that do not contain the detail we need. No walking routes, no cycle paths, etc. It is handy for now where the roads are open but not that good for after an event. Well, perhaps to point and say I once lived there and its best to avoid now.

Make sure you have sufficient maps for your needs for your current location, your BOL and the route there.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 January 2012, 14:59, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 15:14 by mikebratcher69.)
Depends what your after in a map.
I'm more a visual recce person anyway, you cant rely on maps for much as things change so rapidly nowadays, if you buy a map its out of date quickly, to quick for my liking. Roads of most kinds apart from back ways are most likely out of the question anyway post shtf (depending on scenario) so you should know your bol area like the back of your hand anyway, as you cant tell from a map what roads safe and which isnt, detailed or not, only by experience.
For me a post shtf scenario will be run along millitary lines, with regular patrols sentry duty and recce missions at night, you dont get army patrols going out piss*ng about with maps every 5 mins as its too much noise and messing about, holing up during daylight, and going out when most people sleep. My bol's remote anyway, far enough but not too far from arterial routes should I need them, but far enough off the beaten track to avoid discovery as its what you'd call wilderness.
anyway you should check out the superscale A-Z its got a surprising ammount of detail.
In a post shtf scenario you should ALWAYS TRY TO AVOID normal paths, walkways, roads if you can, they are liable to be watched and monitored, take a circuitus route avoiding potential traps, bottlenecks etc. I'd rather spend 20 mins crawling through a field post shtf than walk down a road with otr without a detailed map

I mean how do we know just because the leccy's off for us, doesnt mean the cameras on the roads are off does it? they could be on back up generators. or alternative supplies we cant access.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
10 January 2012, 01:21,
i'am with you there mike i have maps if different sizes / types but my eye's my judge and after an event to me it's war with every one i don't know?
not say i'am going around killing every one but the military way is a proven way
to win the war, you must be willing to die
10 February 2012, 18:28,
I memorise major routes, cities, towns, river crossings and other strategic locations in mainland UK and have done since childhood (it was a sort of game) and I reference new locations according to their proximity/bearing to known places.... It's not perfect.... But it does mean that any notes I do take, will mean little to anyone else should security be a problem.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
11 February 2012, 01:49,
The Phillips Navigator road atlas is a superscale beast. It has an immense amount of detail, right down to tracks, paths, field boundaries & many farm names, landmarks, historical sites, small copse, ponds, drainage ditches etc etc.. I have used it extensively across the Uk to navigate to find utility engineers or locations in the middle of nowhere. I usually didn't need the 1:10,000 local map I was also supplied with.
2 problems -->

1) It is large & heavy
2) the last couple of years it has come spiral bound and the pages easily tear out, so it is nowhere near as robust as I needed.

Solutions -->

1) find a proper book bound backed type one if possible
2) This spiral bound type may be more useful for removing the necessary leaves and transferring them to a waterproof map case.
3) keep it for vehicular use only if 1&2 solutions are not ideal

I was put onto this map as it was recommended by the Advanced Driving Institute. It is far superior to any others I have examined. TL.