Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Post-apocalyptic Commune
31 January 2015, 20:48,
The Post-apocalyptic Commune
Browsing the Guardian for a laugh, I came across this article. It rather struck a chord. The writer had given up the modern world to try an experiment in post-apocalyptic living. He had moved to Scotland to live in a yurt and pretend the world had ended. (A yurt, for heavens sake, I mean, why be uncomfortable when you can be REALLY uncomfortable). Anyway, it's rather an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/...up-commune
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
1 February 2015, 09:36,
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune
whats wrong with a yurt? they have been used by nomadic peoples for centuries, and if housing wasn't available post SHTF then a Yurt would be my habitation of choice, closely followed by a Tipi.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 February 2015, 10:33, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2015, 10:34 by BeardyMan.)
Well, what can you say? He gave it a good shot I suppose. Maybe with some actual planning he could have done a lot better...

Bit retarded to sell the house and plan to go live in the wilds (and what a daft location to stick yourself in!) but at least he tried. Bit too wishy washy for me with his uber-homo mental breakdown. He evidently won't cope well in a real situation.

+1 on the yurt, nowt wrong with one of those. Should have kept him plenty warm really
7 February 2015, 01:07,
I'm intending to read his book, which comes out on Feb 12th. According to the advanced reviews on Amazon, it is as much an exploration of his mental state as it is a practical description of the experiment. I'd like to know what happened in the guy's head.

I'm interested because the location is just up the road from me. The Scottish Highlands in winter certainly have the ability to chew you up and spit you out without a second thought. It's a learning process, getting used to coping with it.

I think many would-be relocating preppers, off-gridders and down-shifters seriously underestimate the psychological impact of their move. A lot of people trying this sort of experiment set their sights incredibly high, and set themselves up for failure. Expecting to be self-sufficient in your own grown crops, from an area of previously neglected land, is a complete non-starter for example. That's why we have food stores. There is also the added issue of the fact that the rest of the world is carrying on as normal, and this will impact on you in various ways, from the council busy-body checking if you've got planning permission, to the nagging doubt that you've made some incredibly stupid error of judgement when you see all the smiley, happy people in their Audis in the Tesco car-park carrying on as normal. You can never really simulate a post-SHTF situation.

We've learned this lesson. When we first down-shifted to Scotland, I got a bit "hair-shirted" about the whole affair and probably made life more difficult than it needed to be. We've now taken a more laid-back approach, celebrating the individual, progressive steps we've taken to insulate ourselves from the economic turmoil to come, and not panicking about the things we haven't yet done. This frees us to work on those extra things with a good heart and freedom from worry.

Not sure I agree about the yurt. A yurt's biggest benefit is that it is easy to take down and re-erect. As temporary, movable structures go, it has a lot going for it; usable space, vertical walls, easily insulated, etc. However, for a fixed-location, commune-based set-up, I'd have built a cabin. Easier to insulate, more robust and psychologically more "house-like", especially in winter. Easier to build on to (e.g. a wood store, or extension). Easy to sub-divide and attach things to inside. Easier to defend against pests and vermin. More secure. More storm-proof.

This guy made the classic mistake of moving 600 miles to a new location and blasting in with his own ideas, rather than taking time to see what the locals do, and how they have adapted to their surroundings and climate. There are plenty of examples of traditional agricultural dwellings, shepherd's huts, bothies, etc. up here. They're built in different styles and from different materials, but I'm afraid yurts don't figure among them!

I also disagree with the comment on location. The Black Isle has a lot of advantages. It has a relatively benign micro-climate (its name comes from the fact that snow rarely lays in winter, rendering the landscape "black" compared to the surrounding snow cover). The climate is set to become even more benign as climate change accelerates (see the chapter on "The New North" in Jorgen Randers' "2052"). The soil quality is excellent; some of the best in Scotland, if not the whole UK. It is by the coast, giving fishing / foraging opportunities. It is relatively well forested. There is a strong transition-community present, with an established network of local community markets and small food producers. It is easily defended, being a peninsula. If you're going to go to Scotland, I can think of a lot worse places than the Black Isle.

My twopence worth..
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
7 February 2015, 09:20,
Nice, balanced reply, Tarrel. I wouldn't mind reading his book either - just to see why he did it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 February 2015, 11:21,
"It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys."

Yes, but if you can get airborne, those turkeys represent one heck of a food resource!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
7 February 2015, 12:05,
Excellent post Tarrel, should be required reading for those dreaming of "The Good Life".

I believe that an economic downturn is inevitable, it's why I sold up in the South East and bought my smallholding out West, but there's no point in living in hardship if you don't have too. I still work full time, and will continue to do so all the while it's economical. The money I earn goes towards things I can't make, which all leaves me better prepared every week. If I can continue in my job ( which I enjoy anyway ) until I'm 65 then I will, and when I snuff it my wife and eventually kids and grandkids will have a functional, established smallholding of their own. I consider this to be a far better legacy than a house in Kent which may or may not be worth money in the future, and if TSHTF in my lifetime or theirs it will be worth its weight in potatoes.
7 February 2015, 21:05,
Thanks for the comments. Steve, your approach makes sound sense. It's really about optimising your resources. If you're in good health and have the ability to continue working, it may make sense to do so.

We took a slightly different approach. I too carried on "working" in my previous role when we moved north. It was a case of inertia really. I was a freelance training consultant and the bookings just kept coming. However, having reduced our outgoings substantially, it did allow me to build up a nice cash reserve. About a year ago, I realised that the work was not giving me the time I needed to get the most from our woodland, so I decided to commit to the woodland full time. It essentially runs at a small loss by the time I have taken some living expenses out of it, so the cash reserve plugs the gap and keeps us on an even keel. It will keep us solvent for the nine years until retirement officially arrives! As there are only so many hours in the day, I had to decide whether more money was more important to us than continuing to disconnect ourselves from the financial system. I opted for the latter.

We're working to a ten-year plan to transform the woodland from what it is now (essentially a plantation yielding ornamental conifer foliage) to a mixed-species woodland supplying a variety of food and saleable products. After 10 years I aim to either lease it, or parts of it, as a demonstrated space in which to achieve a modest livelihood or, if the S has HTF, to enjoy the products of the woodland ourselves. Depends whether money or the woodland produce are more important to us at that time!

The ultimate aim will be to be in a position where, if a major economic or energy crisis hits, we won't even really notice. Just as your average subsistence farmer in rural Africa won't. I know this is idealistic, but it kind of sets our trajectory.
8 February 2015, 18:36,
Brilliant !!!

Quit your day job.

Sell everything you own.

Gather a group of mental defectives and social misfits.

Run off to the woods.

But not too far, need a Tesco close by.

Get married to someone you are not fully committed too.

Put her up in a humble cottage nearby for the quick snog.

Spend all your money.

Become alarmed at the bad decisions made by the morons around you.

Run some of the Hobbits away.

Get divorced.

Go insane (as if he weren't already)

Be forcibly committed.

Leave the asylum for a teaching job at university.

Write a best selling book guiding the masses in how to be a total looser in life.

And call it a "survival guide" !
8 February 2015, 20:23,
Yeah Mort you couldn't make this shit up and it would be any worse lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!